DVD-RW Audio Problems (Choppy sound)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mentalist, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Mentalist

Mentalist Private E-2

Have a bit of an issue with my laptop,

Trying to play dvd's and im basically getting choppy audio constantly
    Video playback is perfect crystal clear :)

Tried enabling DMA but to what i saw it was already enabled, i have tryed going to the codecs and deleteing multiple copies of codecs (of the oldest instance ofc) but unfortunately i have had no luck they were all solitary instances and of current dates.

Any ideas? i have a bad feeling it might be a hardware issue?
    Plays CD's fine etc but just dvd audio is the problem.

(tryed multiple dvd players, in various scenarios, got rid of background processes which werent critical but to no avail, i have a uninstalled all the media playing programs and attempted one on a fresh multimedia program list and then retried but still no luck -.-)

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks

Mentalist

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Has the DVD ever worked normally? Did this problem just start up one day out of the blue? Did you do anything just prior to the start of the choppy DVD audio? Have you tried to completely remove all your codecs, then reinstall a single complete pack? KLite's Mega Pack and the Vista Codec Pack are two complete excellent codec packs, but only pick and install one. Both are compatible with Win2000, WinXP, and Vista. I like the KLite Pack 'cuz it includes numerous other tools and programs that I find very helpful (GSpot, Codec Tweak Tool, Media Player Classic, etc). You can also try using the Nero Info Tool to check your drive, but it's a bit light on diagnostics. For an in-depth look at your DVD drive, use OptiDrive Control. It has a free 30 day trial period. A great how-to guide/user manual can be found at this link and should provide you with everything you need to know.

EDIT- after looking through the how-to guide, it appears the guide is written for Nero's CD-DVD Speed program, a free download at this link. But since the guide links to the OptiDrive web site, I'm thinking the two programs are developed by the same people and are probably very very similar. I haven't used either of these CD-DVD test programs (other than the Nero Info Tool) so I can't say for sure....

GOOD LUCK!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds