DVD-RW drive letter missing!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fysoon, Jun 13, 2007.

1. fysoon

fysoon Private E-2

Hi,
    Recently my laptop motherboard was replaced and the service guy ask me to re-format the whole hard disk, the reason being that the DVD-RW drive cannot be recognized. I'd not done any major backup for a long time (something I'm lazy to do) and it'll be too much of trouble to copy out my file using thumb drive.

I tried a few methods (like uninstalling the drive and scan for new hardware), it doesn't work. I haven't try editing the registry (as recommended by others), no confidence on doing it.

Can anyone help me out to restore the drive letter, without me to re-format my hard disk?

fysoon

Attached Files:

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The dvd/rw is recognised in device manager, the exclamaton mark is telling you it has a problem.
    If you double click on that, it will show you properties, and it could just be a driver problem, a faulty/poor connection to the dvd/rw, or, the dvd/rw could have given up on you.It could be an IRQ conflict.
    Try updating driver, on the web, first.
    If that does not work, go to the dvd/rw manufacturers website, and it could be worth trying the latest firmware update for it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds