DVD-RW tray continues to open and close

Discussion in 'Software' started by nzp273, Jul 3, 2009.

1. nzp273

nzp273 Private E-2

My DVD tray keeps opening even before windows XP has started up so i think its hardware so first thing i checked was the button but that is not the case and i don't know what else inside the driver would make it do this

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

Unfortunately, when your CD/DVD tray just opens and/or closes all on its own, 97% of the time it is a hardware problem. The only 'fix' is to open your PC and remove the drive, and install a new one. Luckily, new DVD burners are under $30 at Newegg, and some even have free shipping. :)

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Likely as dlb mentions the drive is dying, but just try this in case its a corrupt driver, its unlikely to be but worth a check, open Device Manager and open DVD/CD Rom branch and right click and uninstall the drive, then reboot and Windows picks up the driver again.

Check your startup list for anything unusual as some prank programs can do this, so if your PC has been used by someone else then suspect this also. To check startup list can use this Startup CPL then check with say this what the startups are.

Some malware can do this, so worth a check with this guide (if the steps highlight a virus then start a new thread in malware forum and attach the logs as per the guide)

4. nzp273

nzp273 Private E-2

ok thanks guys

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds