DVD Shrink with Nero - burn wont start

Discussion in 'Software' started by saundo1, Aug 2, 2005.

1. saundo1

saundo1 Private E-2

Hi, I have a copy of Nero 6 and DVD Shrink 3.2. I am trying to copy my DVD. The process works fine (analysis, encoding) but when it triggers nero to start the burn i get a mesasage to enter a blank disk to write to. I enter a blank disk (Shintaro DVD-R) but nothing happens. It just keeps looking for a dik. It appears it is not recognised. All the files are in a directory i created (vob, etc). I also used Nero manually and tried to create from DVD files on hard drive. All work okay but when I enter a blank disc the burn button is not available (when i remove the disk the button is available). Help appreaciated greatly as i have spent days on this

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

3. saundo1

saundo1 Private E-2

I have been able to burn movies that are not protected to these disks using nero only. I am using DVD shrink to remove the protection. I will read the guides for any further help. Is autorun setting a problem or speed settings on burner or DVD shrink?

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Uhhh, you ARE making a backup? Otherwise, this forum probably won't help you. Typically making copies of DVD movies are quite illegal.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

5. saundo1

saundo1 Private E-2

i understand the legals. I have 4 young children who have quite a library. The problem is many disks are now too damaged to work properly. i want to cheaply back some of the better ones up (Toy Story and Toy story 2, lion king). I thought my problem would be common but it appears that i will struggle to resolve. I might try dvd decrypter if i do not get any answers on dvd shrink and nero.

6. Napnut

Napnut Private E-2

Be sure you have the latest Nero updates (Ver. 6.6.0.3 or 6.6.0.6). Can be found at their web site. Also you might try DVD-R if your using DVD+R media. Updating works for most.

7. saundo1

saundo1 Private E-2

Thankyou for the feedback. Problem resolved with different media.

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Doesn't that depend on which country you are in? (I realise that it doesn't necessarily mean that it's allowed in this forum)

For example, here in Australia it is illegal, but I thought that in countries like the United States you could make a personal backup under their "Fair use rights".

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

I believe you are correct, but, I feel it is a gray area. I have heard that making personal backups is legal, then again, I've heard that copying dvds is illegal. If, I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected! :)

10. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

It really depends on which country you are in as I stated.

Here in Australia, it's illegal to copy a copyrighted DVD (or music CD) regardless of whether you own the original or not.

However, it's perfectly legal to make a backup copy of a game you own, whereas in some countries it's not.

It's not a big deal anyway as I've never heard of them prosecuting someone for it.

It's like recording a TV program on your VCR (remember them?).

Technically it's illegal, although it would be pretty bad publicity if they started prosecuting people.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds