DVD tray closes quickly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dumb_Question, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

My DVD tray closes too quickly for me to comfortably put a disk in. How can I fix this problem ?

I can open the DVD player by pressing the button on the front of my PC or by selecting the eject option when I right click the DVD icon in My Computer. But the tray closes itself again in about 5s, without waiting for the gentle push on the tray which normally tells it to close.

Dumb_Question
    19.August.2014
    Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
    Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
    Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
    RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700
    PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot.

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Make sure your DVD tray is not binding, this is usually caused by the tray not fully extending causing the player to think it should retract.
    Is this a recent change or has it always done this?

3. Dumb_Question

-> DOA
    Thanks for your quick answer. I think it's extending all the way - if I pull on it when i's out it does move any further. I'll check again though. No it hasn't always behaved like this; I haven't used it that much, and for a long period in the past it had a DVD in it without being opened at all. The other thing is, for some time now the PC has been on its side (to facilitate access to the internals while the side panel was off), but the opinion on MG was that this shouldn't make any difference. The CD tray won't open under power at all, just by the insertion of a paperclip or rod into the hole on the front: because of this I never use it.

When I do use the DVD player, it seems to work with most disks.

Dumb_Question
    19.August.2014
    PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try this
    Code:
    http://www.walagata.com/w/perk/Assorted/cuphold.zip
    Unzip it and it is a small exe file (135kb), called cupholder. I use it, especially on laptops where it can be a chore to open the optical drive. (On a laptop, the retract cupholder doesn't work but it extends and retracts on desktop systems). I have one computer with 2 DVD drives. I don't remember if it extends both or only the original drive.

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

6. Dumb_Question

-> plodr
    Thank your for that program.

I have both a CD and a DVD player in my system. The program attempts to open the DVD drive (I think its's that one), and it can't open that. I am not surprised at this because for a while now the only way I have of opening that is by poking a stiff narrow rod into the small hole in the front (it won't open from Windows > Eject, nor by pressing the button on the front: it's broken).

The other drive (CD) does open, but retracts of its own accord after a few seconds, as I have said. This drive seems to be inccessible from the Cupholder program. In principle, I could swap the connectors over, but in practice they might as well be glued in place.

I am unable to (manually) pull the CD tray out any further than Ejecting it puts it. It does not seem to be obstructed.

Dumb_Question
    25.August.2014

7. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

What happens when you try only one in the system. Try each one.
    Are your CD and DVD on the same cable?

8. Dumb_Question

Yes they are both on the second IDE cable. Trying only one in the system is problematical because the data connectors, like the data connector on the master on the primary IDE cable are so difficult to remove they might as well be glued in....but maybe I could try taking the power connector (only) out of the DVD drive ? I will try that.

Dumb_Question
    27.August.2014
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds