DvD will not Recognize media

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j147852, May 12, 2008.

1. j147852

j147852 Private E-2

Well I’m about to give up. Both of my drives will not read any DVD’s I put in. One is Pioneer DVD-Rom DVD-116R and the other is a TDK DVDRW0404N. I have NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. . I’m not sure when it happened, but I upgraded my XP to XP Pro and I reinstalled it a few times. I have researched it on the internet, and tried just about every tool available. I uninstalled my DVD’s one at a time UN plugged them restarted my Computer, reinstalled them and still nothing. They will read program disk and file disks but not media disks. I have Roxio 7.5 and uninstalled it and installed Nero, still didn’t help. I think it’s in my settings but I can’t seem to find it. Can someone help?
    jo_b_1@comcast.net

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmm... so if you put in a game disc, it's OK, but any disc with media (like music or a DVD movie) doesn't even get recognized that a disc is there? Have you tried a factory music CD or a factory DVD movie? You know, like one you'd buy in a store? If the discs are recognized, but just don't play, then you're probably dealing with a codec issue, especially since you just did a clean re-install, any codecs that may have been previously installed are now gone. Try using this, the KLite Mega Pack: http://www.majorgeeks.com/K-Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack_d5230.html It includes just about any codec needed to play just about any type of audio or video file (including DVD movies and music files of all types), plus it has Media Player Classic built-in to take advantage of the codecs. Give it a shot and let us know what happens. :D

3. j147852

j147852 Private E-2

Thanks for the help, but it didn’t seem to work. I have Microsoft XP video Decoder checkup and that is telling me none of the codes will work except the one I installed with K Lite so that is something good. I then made that decoder my default, but still both DVD players didn’t work. I tried a DVD I got at the store it doesn’t work either, and when I go to My Computer it won’t even see it in my drive, but it will play games that are installed on my computer. Any other suggestions? I'm lost

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Have you tried this? http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=145532 It's a fix for CD/DVD drives that don't show up in Explorer (which isn't your problem) but it might work in your situation. Also try Dial-A-Fix http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4899.html Check all the boxes in the Registration Center and click Go. There's also lots of repairs in the Tools section, maybe something there will help. I'll do some more research and see if I can find out something a bit more concrete.
    Good luck!

5. j147852

j147852 Private E-2

I wanted to thank you for the help. I tried everything to regain the use of my DVD players, but both will still not read any type of DVD’s. I even uninstalled both of them then unplugged them, shut off my computer, restarted my computer, hopeing that the computer would recognize new hardware so I could reinstall them. I used all the tools that you recommended even tried installing new firmware. It has to be in some setting on the computer I just can’t find it. I even reinstalled my windows xp, which was a pain, because I had to reinstall my windows onecare among other programs. Maybe it’s time for a new computer. The cost of a new computer wouldn’t be much more then what it would for two new DVD players.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds