dvdrw wont burn cdr's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shanemail, Jan 19, 2008.

1. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Hi :wave

Windows XP Pro SP2
    Lite-On DVDRW SHM-165P6S

Previously worked fine, recently decided it would burn a few cdr's and then require a restart to burn more.

I originally had nero 6 installed, thought this may be the problem so I uninstalled/reinstalled it - made no difference.
    So, i uninstalled nero again and replaced it with 'CDBurnerXP' made no difference - managed to burn a couple of discs (one at a time with restarts in between)

Now it will not burn cdr's at all ('No media' error)

Copies the source cd to the hard drive, but when i insert the target blank cdr it does not acknowledge that there is a disc in the drive

Still burns dvdr's though

I have attached screenshots from device manager for drivers and filters

Attached Files:

2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

A couple more screenshots

registry filters & cdburnerxp error/message

thankyou :)

Attached Files:

3. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

A combo burner uses different lasers, one for the CD burning and different one for the CD burning. Maybe the CD laser is shot.

5. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Ive been looking for a good link / explanation / diagram etc of how dvd burners work, but am yet to find anything (need to look a bit harder methinks ;))

I always assumed that one laser would read and write dvds
    and the other would read and write cds

or, one reads dvds and cds
    and the other writes dvds and cds

but this reads cds fine :confused

6. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

maybe it's a driver issue for your burner. Uninstall it in the device manager, reboot, and see if that makes a difference.

Another possibility is it somehow corrupted it's firmware. a firmware upgrade (or reinstall... can get from manufacturer's website usually) might fix it.

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I had problems with Nero 6 and the reason was that a process called imapi.xxx was the culprit and after killing that I was OK. I can't remember the details though as this was a couple of years ago. This is just a shot in the dark.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sorry I can't edit my post above. It should say "A combo burner uses different lasers, one for the CD burning and different one for the DVD burning." It's my understanding that they use different wavelengths. I think one is closer to the red spectrum and the other closer to the blue spectrum but I can't find the info. If I do, I'll post a link.

9. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Sorry, I should have mentioned that i have already tried this

I re-downloaded and re-flashed the dvdrw's firmware and it has made no difference

Anything is worth a shot :)
    I disabled 'IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service' from running and found no mention of it running in task manager - still no luck

I'm waiting for a email from the manufacturer, but I will be suprised if that sheds too much light on the issue.

10. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

have you tried replacing the ata/sata cable connecting it to the mobo? It's a rare problem, but they can develop shorts/data corruption for unknown reasons.

11. augiedoggie

I fixed a friend's rig last year and that was the exact problem. Worth a shot as shane says and I'm sure has extra data cables laying around.

12. candive

candive Corporal

Open my computer.
    Right click your DVD.
    Left click properties.
    Left click recording.
    Is CD enabled, try changing this setting.

13. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

I will give that a try in the next couple of days - thanks :)

Already enabled - thanks :)

I really cant be bothered choosing a new one, but if the cable change doesnt work thats what i will have to do

14. augiedoggie

One other thing to consider shane, while I was getting my old rig set up and working again, I wanted to change out the CD-ROM for a DVD-RW I had laying around but during the switch I had somehow pushed the pin just above the normally empty hole right in, I could read but not write. If you didn't swap this in then ignore.

15. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

I swapped IDE cables - still didnt work
    & checked for bent pins in the process - all good

Removed the dvdrw from the case
    removed the bottom plate
    manually ejected the tray and detached the face plate
    pulled one of the boards out (temporarily losing the trays drive belt inside the dvdrw)
    shook it all around and poked at it with a screwdriver (as you do)

put it back together and it works :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds