DVDShrink / Windows98

Discussion in 'Software' started by bmgaust, Dec 30, 2004.

1. bmgaust

bmgaust Private E-2

I am having trouble with DVDShrink it seems to take forever 10-15hrs to shrink I can Decrypt and burn in about10 mins each. my system is AMDathlonXP2200 + 1.4g 512ram.Any ideas on an alternative or solution to my slow speeds

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

I am going to assume you are trying to make 'backup' copies of your DVDs ;)

Does this problem occur with a specific movie only or with multiple movies or with every movie?

Some of the newer movie do come with integrated 'structure protection' that would make copying pretty much impossible using programs such as DVDShrink or DVD Decrypter...Try another alternative program and see if you experience the same problem. DVDShrink's default settings also may not be appropriate for the troubled project...any error message? Does the program stop responding?

3. bmgaust

bmgaust Private E-2

Thanks Turcoloco
    It happens all the time and a friend used it on his system it took only 10mins to shrink. He does have XP though and a bit faster processor but 10min/10hr.
    No error comes up just slow rate and it decreases.

4. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Hi sorry about delayed reply due to holidays and all... ;)

Well, if it is happenning all the time then obviously the movies you are copying is not to blame, as far as the DVD media you are using, it either works or does not, I have never heard extremely slow burn times on CD or DVD Burners due to bad disc...
    If you are positive that your operating system is stable and free of corruption and malware infection, then logically I'd blame your burner!
    unless someone else got something else this is my best guess.

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Too add to what's already been posted,
    Make sure your using the latest version of shrink, or maybe some of the older ones might be more 98 friendly?
    Another thing ya might turn off what ever is running in the background, that isnt needed.

Try when making backup's disconnect from internet, disable firewall & anti virus, then when done re-enable.
    Several antivirus programs Hog resourses like Norton,McAfee.

What program do you use to burn, if it is nero, uninstall INCD, it has been known to cause conflict with ripping/burning DVD's
    What brand & model DVD burner is this?
    Probably not your media but, Use preminum Media, look for media containing AZO metal dye, Verbatim/Ritek/Great AZO here is link for media, the site also has compatibility page:
    http://www.meritline.com/dvd-r-blank-media-1.html

The system spec's you got you should get XP pro/xp home or even W2K, everything will work better faster & more efficient.

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I have to Ask your Athlon XP 2200 is it running at 1.4ghz?
    If it is your under clocked.
    The correct speed for XP2200+ = 1.8ghz and for XP-M 2200+ is 1.667ghz

7. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Yes Asus, brought up a good point...I hope it was a type at your end but if it was not then make sure you correct the CPU settings in the BIOS One other thing I just remembered is when I disabled the paging file (virtual memory) to run ScanDisk and Defrag which I always do..I forgot to reenable it prior to burning DVDs and most of the programs I use for DVD burning went apesh*t and gave some freaky errors. So make sure your paging file size is adequate. Even though my system had high-end 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM, the programs demanded virtual memory to be present and considering the size of files being cached and burned for DVD movies 1GB of RAM is far from enough (for CD burning though it could be ok).
    so for your DVD-Burner system this is what I suggest for 'paging file' size:
    right-click on 'My Computer'
    left-click on 'Properties'
    left-click on 'Advanced'
    (under Performance on top) left-click on 'Settings' button
    left-click on 'Advanced' tab
    left-click on 'Change' button under 'Virtual Memory'
    left-click on 'Custom Size'
    make sure 'Initial size' and 'Maximum' amounts are same, this would ensure consistant access and provide better performance, especially with programs that uses more of the virtual memory.
    Here are some recommendations:
    if your physical RAM amount is 512MB or less use a value (in MB) between 1200 and 1500, if physical RAM is 1GB or more use a value between 800 and 1200....if you are burning DVDs on this system add 200 to 500MB to either configuration. If you have multiple partition then you could divide paging file into two pieces but the best setting is to use the partition that is NOT your System Partition (generally C) which has the boot files.

You could also benchmark your system to find the best setting for your system.... ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds