DVI not producing same clear pic as VGA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cloudmaster, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Cloudmaster

Cloudmaster Private E-2

I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue, but when I connect my monitor via DVI instead of VGA the picture quality suffers. I thought DVI was supposed to mean a sharper picture. I am using the same card (Nvidia FX5200) which has a DVI and a VGA port and the same monitor.:confused

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

is the resolution at it's recommended setting?

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but you are using a DVI-D cable with no adapters, right?

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think you mean to ensure the monitor is set to digital and not analog.

It depends on the monitor, but typically yes, that is true. But you have not told us your monitor make and model so we cannot be sure. If your monitor does not support digital and you are simply using adapters then there could be some degradation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds