E Book reader-Mobi files

Discussion in 'Software' started by greybuffalo, Aug 13, 2014.

1. greybuffalo

greybuffalo Staff Sergeant

Could someone help me.
    I have a reader,not a kindle,and i have some new books,but the files appear to have an error,but not when i view then pn my desktop only on the reader,all the other mobi's on my reader are fine???
    I was looking for a tester/checker online,but cannot find anything?
    Could anyone please suggest something?:confused

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I found this
    If you have extensions showing on your computer, are the extensions on all the new files with error on your reader the same?
    Because Amazon bought the format, perhaps something has changed in the newer books.

3. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Can you tell s if the mobi files that you say are "fine" downloaded from the same source as the ones you say have errors?

4. greybuffalo

They are from a different source,they where pdf's which converted.
    There was this file DS_Store,I have tried adding that but it does not help?

It works fine on my pc with Mobi file reader?
    I got this message about a security token missing when I tried to attach the pdf file??anyone know what that means?

5. Anon-9aee479f8f

I don't know about the security message you mentioned. That's something I have never seen.
    What type of reader are you using? Sony? Does you reader read any other type of file besides mobi? Also would help to know where you are downloading books from.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

DS_Store is a mac thing See the link for a better explanation then i can just give. http://calibre-ebook.com/ Is a really neat convertor that i would use, i would try converting it back into the same format and see if it allows you to open it after that process?

7. greybuffalo

Thanks for that link,I will try it.
    I have a cheapie Chinese make that does not say it supports Mobi,but I have other Mobi files on
    Actually,i did get all my files from a friend-same source
    PDF is not so good for viewing/reading,what is similar to Mobi?

8. Anon-9aee479f8f

9. greybuffalo

Thanks Katkat,
    yes,
    I saw the files and did try and convert to epub,but I got stuck there,as I cannot find where those converted files got to,I seem to just have the PDF library only.
    The ereader I have is really no name.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds