e:\ is not accessible. the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ej1245, Mar 14, 2005.

1. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

Hi, I'm trying to get a USB dvd/cdrw drive to work for a friend. Its a storix optical series model stxdvdcdrw. According to the documentation Its supposed to work with xp drivers. I plugged it in, it shows as a cd drive in my control panel, no driver error ( ! ) in hardware devices, however when i try to access a cd i get the "e:\ is not accessible. the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable" error. I tried to update the driver already. I have no problem accessing the disk in my other cd drive. Any clues?

2. Oldman

Oldman Private First Class

Unplug it, reboot, then note the time and plug it in. Go to your event logs (Cntl Panel, Admin Tool, Event viewer) and look for a yellow ! or red X at the time stamp when you plugged in the drive, see what clues it gives...

3. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

heres two...

Attached Files:

4. Oldman

Oldman Private First Class

This is most likely a bad device. If you can use other USB devices in the same usb port with no problems, then your storix is bad. Also you may want to try plugging the storix into another XP machine to verify, but my guess is it's probably a bad dvd/cdrw drive, (see if your friend can exchange it as faulty and get it replaced).

5. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

I agree, you have to be suspicious when you can't find the company anywhere anymore. My guess is the drive is shot, thanks for all your help, I'm going to return it to him. He bought it at best buy about a year ago.

6. bot

bot Private E-2

reset your usb drivers.....make sure 2.0....

7. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

the usb port works fine with other devices. How would I reset it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds