E machine Pentium 4 Processor 631 fan prob

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oldhenry, Feb 23, 2010.

1. oldhenry

oldhenry Private E-2

Hello
    I have my daughter's machine here with a problem. It 'cuts out' she says. I have found that the fan on the chip and the back of the tower ( not the transformer one) comes on with power up, but then cuts out - sometimes -and the chip overheats and it all cuts out. Why would these fans sometimes work?, it cannot be both fan motors duff, so what controls them?, is it software, or hardware.
    The E machine was crap when we bought it and had to go back, but a new one worked for two years now.
    Any ideas?, I know you guy are ace at the endless problems us simpletons throw at you.
    Cheers
    Ian

2. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

If Emachines used cheaper fans the sleeves or bearings may be shot. After the fans run for a bit they heat up the sleeve or bearing, fan stops spinning, CPU overheats, computer shuts down.

Fans are fairly easy to replace. Your local computer shop should carry them, even Staples, Best Buy have some.

Sam

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Just replace the fans. Yes, it is possible that two fans can die. The fans are controlled by the motherboard. You can see the power cord on the fan leading from the fans to a small plug on the motherboard.
    Since you are located in the UK, places like Curry's, Dixon's or ComputerWorld? I don't know which is reputable and which is useless, sorry.

4. oldhenry

oldhenry Private E-2

Hello both
    Thanks for your reply. I see the plug in the motherboard and that is tight, I wondered if there was some special software that operated them, but I presume that whilst the motherboard has power it must need cooling.
    I'll get new fans
    Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds