Early XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Strange1, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Hi again. Haven't visited in a long while. My comp....Older Sony Vaio Model GRX 570 (2001), w/XP early version (maybe beta) no mention of any SP. Can it be upgraded to SP3? Thanks.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Of course it can be updated. Just grab the SP3 ISO disk from Microsoft and install that way and after that go to Win Update and finish things off. Without the ISO you'd be updating for a week!;)

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would do a backup of all your important files, images, music etc before upgrading to SP3, also I would be tempted to uninstall yoru antivirus software first as well.

The to burn the ISO Augie linked to a great free app is ImgBurn and simple to use.

4. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Thanks guys. I am not sure I fully understand. Do I purchase the CD from MS? or download it to a cd and then install in laptop. I have a fairly fast conn on my PC (20+ meg) with Comcast. A little more info would certainly help this old soul.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Use the link augiedoggie provided to download an ISO image of the SP3 disc for free from MS. Use the Imgburn program DavidGP has linked to burn this ISO image to a CD. Use this CD to install SP3.

7. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Followed your directions (thanks much) except.....burned it with Nero. Is that ok? My computer skills are suspect. Otherwise I guess I am ready to load on the laptop. Here's hopin':confused

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Looks like your avatar is already bugging out on you.:-D
    Good luck.

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Nero's fine. Just be sure you burned it AS an ISO (image). Can you browse the newly burned disk?

10. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Yep opened and works fine on this PC. Is that a clue that it should work on the laptop. I think I mentioned that the XP on the laptop is an early version. possibly beta. There seems to no SP of any kind on it, along with no firewall.

11. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yep, should work fine in the laptop Strange1. Let us know how it fares!

12. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Thanks again. I will be sure to let you know. Prob do it tomorrow.

13. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Do keep in mind, as the service pack level goes up, the amount of suggested system memory increases as well, i remember running original xp with 256 ram, seems like with sp3 you need at least 1 gig now.

14. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

^Very true.

15. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Hmmm may have to up the RAM. Think it has 512 on it now. Thanks for that info.

16. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

512 is doable if you maintain a tight system and keep on top of stuff ie keeping it clean and so on, but 1 and even 2 gigs just makes it that much more smoother.

17. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

512 works but slower; it even works on a system with 256 MB RAM. (Thankfully, not my computer; I just clean, patch and secure). I just updated a computer from SP2 to SP3 and applied 89 patches yesterday. In Nov., I did the same thing to the computer with only 256MB RAM. I will tell the owner to buy more RAM.

18. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

If like some of my people, they'll say: "Why do I need more RAMS? I don't have any sheep.":confusedrolleyes

19. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Attempted to install SP3 on laptop. Wouldn't go, Says needs at least SP1 to intsall SP3 I know the CD has SP3 and SP2 on it but thought it had SP1 on it too. Evidently not. Can I download SP1 only and install it and then install the rest? Also. this particular computer (Sony GRX 570) has 512 meg RAM on it. Some place says (indicates) that is the max and others say 1 gig. What's the scoop? It's my friends laptop. Her PC went belly up and I thought this one would work till she gets another PC. But beginning to think not. Thanks again.

20. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I believe that this link includes an option to download SP1. :)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389.

Don't worry too much about the 512 megs of ram, as the computer will function, just will be a little slower with SP3.

21. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds