easiest way to transfer mp3 files...

Discussion in 'Software' started by bbrich, Jan 24, 2004.

1. bbrich

bbrich Private E-2

I just got a new laptop :cool: , so now I want to take some of my programs from my old esktop and put them on to my laptop (these files mainly being .mp3 files) What is the easiest way to do this, keeping in mind that I'm new to this so anything too technical is out the window... Can I just burn a data disk that contains the .mp3 files, will they work on my new comp if I just did that? Because I really don't want to burn all those songs onto normal cd-r's b/c it would take way too many cd's... Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. BozUriel

BozUriel Private E-2

Programs? Most programs don't cotton to just moving them, you have re/install them to the laptop. But the MP3 are good to go.

Yes you can burn disks that contain just the MP3's and then copy them onto your laptop. Depending on how much information you plan on moving, check these other options on for size.

Network your two computers together and transfer the files. If you don't have them, you'll need a Network Interface Card with both machines, ($10 to $190 USD depends on which one you buy). If you choose not to use Wireless NICs, then you'll need a cross-over cable ($4-$7 depending on length). Bonus here is a shared Internet connection, shared printers and folders, move any thing anytime between your two machines.

or

There is a notebook 2.5''-3.5'' HD adapter ($13.5 USD) that will allow you to take your hard drive out of the laptop, stick it on this adapter and make it a slave IDE device (think CD or Hard Drive) and copy the files from one hard drive to another.

or

Buy a USB Pocketable Hard Drive price depends on size, 256MB ($128 USD)

Many other scenarios also available but I'd choose the networking one. And if you have questions on that, ask in the "Network" forum. :D

All prices straight from Cyberguys dot com.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Just burn all your Mp3s or as many as you can get onto a blank CDRW ( dont format it just use it as you would a normal CDR ) in the Mp3 format they are in depending on which Burning App you are using you can do this in 2 ways........

eg. Nero burning options

Data > Data Disk
    Music > Mp3 Disk

both ways will preserve the mp3 format and wont convert them to normal audio CDs

then transfer them over then erase the CDRW and start the process again until all your files are transfered.

saves using alot of CDRs unless you want a none HD backup of your Mp3s on CDR aswell ( killing two birds with one stone ) :)

if you get stuck let us know which CD burning program you use and we will be able to give some instructions to aid you.

4. bbrich

bbrich Private E-2

thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm gonna stick to just burning them onto a data cd-r disk (that way I will always have a backup & it sounds so much easier than networking :p ) I currently use Easy Cd Creater, I've wanted a new burning program for a while now, but my Nero trial has expired and didn't know what else to try, guess I'll look around... So is it really easy as that, All I do is burn the .mp3 files onto a cd-r, then put the disk in my laptop and bam all those songs will work no questions asked and I can even put them on my mp3 player from there correct and they will play in winamp or windows media player?

5. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

6. DavidGP

YES

when you say MP3 player is this similar to an iPod or a CD baised portable Mp3 player?

the instructions are similar in EZCD if you want them in Data form pick New Project > DATA if you want them as a playable Mp3 CD ( which can be played in portable Mp3 cds ) then pick New Project > Mp3 player disk.

7. bbrich

bbrich Private E-2

yes, I mean an ipod, thanks for the help guys.

8. DavidGP

Yes once the Mp3s are copied across or left on CD in Mp3 format you just upload to the iPod in the normal way.

So have you managed to relocate your Mp3s to the new PC?

9. bbrich

bbrich Private E-2

yup, just did today, I've been busy the past few days, everything went off without a hitch, thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds