ECC or Non ECC AMD Sempron 2400+ ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smokeydeadlegs, Dec 4, 2007.

1. smokeydeadlegs

smokeydeadlegs Private E-2

Hi guys, can anyone help with this one the query I have is in relation to ECC or Non ECC on an AMD Sempron 2400+.
    How can I find out which I need ECC or Non ECC without manually checking the existing memory.
    I am installing a 60 gig HD and toying with increasing the memory to 512 as far as I can tell I can install 512mhz but am not sure which stick to go for, I cannot see any way other than looking inside the tower, can anyone offer any advice ... please.
    Many thanks..

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Take the computer to http://www.crucial.com/
    Click on memory upgrades in the left column then click on the Crucial System Scanner Tool. It will tell you what memory is installed, how many slots are present and also the maximum amount of RAM allowed.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

4. smokeydeadlegs

Thank's guy's for the reply.
    I have downloaded PC Wizard and the following came up:

General Information :
    DIMM1 (RAS 1, RAS 0) : 256 (Single Bank)
    DIMM2 : Empty

Memory Controller Information :
    Memory Controller : Standard, FPM, EDO, Parity, ECC, SIMM
    Number of connectors : 2
    Max. Module Size : 1024 MB
    Max. Memory Size : 2048 MB
    Supported Speed : 70ns, 60ns
    Supported Voltages : 3.3v
    Error Detection Method : 32-bit ECC
    Error Correction Capability : Single Bit
    Current/Supported Interleave : 1-way/1-way

Am I right from the info' above that it is an ECC and NOT a NON-ECC ? Would i be better adding another 256 or going for a completely different memory, could you let me know what you think, Please.
    Many thanks.

5. plodr

If it were me, I'd take the 256MB stick out and buy two 512MB sticks to up the total RAM to 1GB.
    Others might have you go the max to 2GB by having a 1GB stick in each slot.
    Obviously you weren't doing any gaming running at 256MB. You would certainly notice a difference jumping from 256 MB to 1 GB.

6. smokeydeadlegs

Thank's for that plodr, am I right from the info' above that it is an ECC and NOT a NON-ECC ?
    Many thanks.

7. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Can you give us the make/model of your motherboard? That would be a better way to determine what memory you will need.

8. plodr

Two places it says ECC
    So yes you need ECC, parity, EDO and SIMM.

9. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

I agree with the other poster, please post the make/model of your motherboard. You can sometimes make out the make/model by pressing Pause/Break on the keyboard when the system first starts during POST. Look to the bottom left of the screen, wright down all the numbers if your not sure which is your Motherboard type and post em. Or post the brand/model of the machine!

I find it very, very strange to be running a Sempron with memory so slow it makes my granny look fast!:D In fact I've never seen any modern system using an EDO SIMM. SIMM's where replaced with DIMM's quite a while ago. EDO apart from some old printers is all but dead!

I personally would not advise buying anything without further information! Download CPU-Z, run the program and click on the Memory Tab.. beside Type it should tell you what type of RAM you have installed. If it doesn't and you've any doubts.. install Sandra and click on the Hardware Tab - double click Computer Overview.. give it a few seconds. Under Motherboard it should say Total Memory - "256MB SDRAM for example".

DIB is very correct, most desktops do not need nor run EEC RAM. It's expensive and really isn't required just to surf the net or play some games. I have a feeling you need either SDRAM DDR266/333/400 or maybe DDR2.. it'll most likely be a DIMM not a SIMM module.

10. smokeydeadlegs

Thank's guy's.
    I appreciate that link to CPU-Z aidan80, what a cracking utility.
    the info' that it gave is as follows:

Manufacturer: Matsonic.
    Model: MSKM400-M
    Processor: AMD Sempron 2400+
    Memory Type: DDR
    256 MBites

I use MPower which appears to help but still keep running out of memory, ugh.
    Any help would be appreciated.

11. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

I can't find anything of worth on Matsonic's Website, but googling for "MSKM400-M memory" it lists quite a few websites that are selling memory that are guaranteed to be compatible. For example, at MemoryStore.com they say, "ALL of the modules listed below are guaranteed to be 100% compatible with the Matsonic MSKM400-M". Now looking at all of the websites that google brings up, they all say that you need 184-pin PC2700 DDR Non-ECC memory modules.

If it were me, I would just buy some PC3200 DDR RAM somewhere like www.newegg.com and take the chance that it will work.

However, if you want to be a little safer about it, you might buy from MemoryStore.com or 4AllMemory.com or somewhere else that guarantees the memory will work with your motherboard.

12. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

I once again agree with Wyatt_Earp..

I have had a board based on the (VIA) KM400 series in the past, it was quite a decent board. I've seen some KM400's that support only 333Mhz DDR RAM and others like that one I had that supports 400Mhz DDR.

My advise much like the other advice here.. is simple.. go to newegg or another online store and purchase some DDR400. Most of the big brands should be supported by your board. I had been running GEIL DDR400 in my KM400. Even if your board only supports DDR333 installing DDR400 wont do any harm and should actually allow you to tighten the memory timings a little.

As for the amount of memory you need thats up to you. 1GB stick in Bank 0 would be ideal if you just surf the net listen to music. It all depends on your needs and of course budget.

Good luck and don't forget unplug all power and ground yourself before opening the inside of your computer or use an antistatic wrist strap. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds