Editing Firefox search engine toolbar...??

Discussion in 'Software' started by tarmin8or, Dec 26, 2009.

1. tarmin8or

tarmin8or Private First Class

When using the search box top right , selecting the e bay search engine it always defaults to ebay .com living in the uk the address is .co.uk i am having to alter the address every time i use the search box How do i edit the address so it defaults ebay.com in the US????
    Same with Yahoo. The defaults are uk and I want them to be US.
    Thank you!

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi.

If you click on the arrow right to the right of the search icon, you should have the option to manage your search engines. Click on that. If ebay US is not listed, click on Get more Search Engines. On the left side of your screen click on Search Engines under categories. Find ebay.com on there and click on it. You'll have the option to Add it.

To change the default:

Here's a good tutorial (you have to go to your about:config) -- http://www.dkszone.net/2009/06/how-to-change-default-search-engine-of.html

3. tarmin8or

I did do that and there was no listing for ebay or Yahoo.

??????

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Is your Firefox latest version?

Delete temps and cookies with CCleaner.

What you could check is the language setting of firefox to see if its English [EN] over English/United States [EN-US] open Fx and click Tools > Options > Content tab and click the Choose button next to Languages and make sure English/United States [EN-US] is the top default one.

5. tarmin8or

The language settings did come to mind and I did change that. I removed the uk search engines and reloaded defaults, it then reinstalled the uk site again. I will check the version and clean the caches to see what that does.
    Thank you for the suggestion, I will update when I have tried that.
    Thanks!

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds