efi hard drive partition question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WhySoSerious, Feb 27, 2012.

1. WhySoSerious

WhySoSerious Private E-2

I just had my other laptop die and now my asus 1005heb pc is having issues too. I think the hard drive is going to die. I am trying to make a clone of this drive but have a few questions.
    1. This hard drive, the main one, is cut into a C drive, a 10 gb healthy primary partition that says has 100% free, and a 19 Mb EFI system partition that is supposedly 100% free.

Do I need the latter two and do they function in helping run the pc in any way or are they eraseable?
    If I need to copy them how do I as they do not come up in the option to do so it seems when using some of the software to do the cloning operation.

Thanks for any help.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum:)

EFI partitions are for vendor specific software and firmware updates ect. I would assume Asus has put it there to allow their update software to work.

Windows doesn't need it to work I know that much,I would assume deleting it would prevent part of Asus's updating software from work but I can't guarantee it wouldn't cause other problems with your system.

The 10gb partition is usually a recovery partition which 'should' be full of recovery data,in 'mycomputer' how is the partition labelled? All the recovery partions I've seen are labelled 'recovery partition' or similar with warnings not to delete.

If you clone the whole of the drive then once done and installed into your laptop delete the 10gb partition and EFI,go to control panel,admin tools,computer management,disk management and delete both partitions then expand C: partition to fill the whole disk.

If you experience any problems you have the option to reclone the original.

In summary Windows doesn't need them to work and I'm 90% sure if you delete them you won't run into any problems other than your Asus update software not working but stick around for other replies:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds