Electric Air Blowers For Dusting Computer Internals

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dumb_Question, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I was looking for compressed air cans for blowing away dust from certain parts of my computer, when I came across this https://www.amazon.co.uk/ITdusters-...qid=1498920057&sr=8-5&keywords=compressed+air [sorry can't get the click-to-link thing to work] - a mains powered electric air duster (blower). [I am afraid the ref. is to a model on sale in the UK]

As the cans are getting comparatively expensive, I thinking this was actually quite reasonably priced.

I've always read that vacuum cleaners and the like (of which I class the example above) are not suitable for this purpose as they generate static.

My main question is, is the exemplary tool truly safe to use with computer and electronic components ?

a secondary question, if a vacuum cleaner 'tube' is made of metal and earthed, can that item be safely used to clean computer and electronic components ? (I am thinking of a post in MG some time ago where the mechanism by which static is generated was expostulated)

Dumb_Question
    1.July.2017

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The reviews on Amazon (and elsewhere) tell you the answers. 90% rated 4 or 5. A tendency to physically heat up are the few critics in those reviews. But touch a hair-dryer, hoover or similar and it heats up.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't know about "the exemplary" tool, but it works. That said, IMO, a regular shop type air compressor is best. It is what I use here and have on all electronics for over 40 years. Just make sure ALWAYS - as in EVERY SINGLE TIME - use a inline moisture and particulate filter when cleaning electronics (or air-brush painting food or faces).

No. The vacuum cleaner should be properly grounded regardless what you are using it for. But that will not prevent static from building up from air and dirt molecules banging into the nozzle as they zip by. Remember, the hose is probably made of some type of rubberized plastic anyway, and not very conductive.

Vacuuming is NEVER preferred. Taking the computer outside is always better. If it is pouring down rain, and taking it outside is not practical, you can use a vacuum, but EXTRA care must be taken.
    1. Unplug the computer from the wall.
    2. Touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body, and most importantly, to put you and the computer "at the same potential".
    3. Wrap your hand around the nozzle end and extend a pointed finger out past the nozzle.
    4. Plant extended finger on to bare metal when reaching in with the nozzle to prevent the discharge and build-up of static.
    5. Use a clean, soft, natural bristle (not synthetic) dusting or paint brush to gently persuade the dust towards the nozzle.
    6. Keep that finger planted, and immediately replant it onto bare metal when re-positioning the nozzle.
    7. Better yet, wait for it to stop raining, then use an air compressor or cans of dusting gas.

Spad likes this.
  4. Dumb_Question

Thank you Max
    I have read the particular reviews on Amazon (not the US site). I will look for the item on Amazon's US site, there are certain to be more reviews of it there. Perhaps some will refer to static.
    These reviews do not mollify my concern, nor aid my understanding of what I have read. They just say it works, which is useful in itself. But then in some cases I might as well use a vacuum cleaner, which is not advisable, I remember reading here on MG

Dumb_Question
    1.July.2017

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I couldn't find that Model on Amazon US and the one brand/model they have is over double the price even with exch rates.

6. Dumb_Question

Thank you for your comprehensive advice Digerati. It is welcome as ever.

Dumb_Question
    1.July.2017

7. Dumb_Question

There are more, and probably more useful answers, on the US Amazon site - I apologise because I don't think I read any of the reviews initially, I was thinking of another product. The US Amazon reviews are often included on the UK Amazon site.

Dumb_Question
    1.July.2017

8. Dumb_Question

Max I found it on the US Amazon site for $48, search under 'compu cleaner'

Dumb_Question
    1.July.2017

9. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You might also consider a different computer case, one with removable, washable filters. On better cases, these filters greatly reduce the amount of dust that enters the computer. It has been 2 years since I last had to take my computer outside for cleaning because the filters trapped probably at least 90% of the dust.

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Great. When I put the exact model name in it didn't show.
    Shame it's 25% more than than on their UK site.

11. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Tater likes this.
  12. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds