Emachine D2823 power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharpconnect, Sep 29, 2011.

1. sharpconnect

sharpconnect Private E-2

Have an emachine d2823 desktop w/ xp. It stopped working for my grandson a while ago and I am trying to replace the power supply first. I have a new Antec 550 basic. The computer itself has a 3.5 in drive, cd-rw/dvd player and a hdd already hooked up. Not sure of the name of the connection, but the power supply has a large many pin connection that would appear to hook up to one of those places. How do I know which one? and How do I keep the cd-rw and hdd hooked up at the same time. DOn't really care about the 3.5 - don't use it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. BillD

BillD Private First Class

When you open the case, you will see where everything is plugged in. The plugs for the various parts are specific. you will see where the main power plug goes on the mother board, and the drives will use 4 pin Molex plugs, if the drives are EIDE or SATA plugs if they are SATA drives. There may be a 4 pin connector that goes to the motherboard also. It isn't that complicated once you get a look at it and shouldn't take more than a few minutes. You can probably hook everything up to test without installing the new power supply into the case. If it makes you more comfortable, you can unplug and replace one at a time.

3. sharpconnect

sharpconnect Private E-2

Found it. Don't know why I didn't see it this morning. It is 20 bit on this model.

Power supply is in and all hooked up. I can't seem to get any power to it. There are no noises, humming or anything when I flip the on/off switch in the back.

The one thing I am not sure I replaced correctly are the 3 wires from the front of the computer. When you look at the inside of the front case, blue & white is on top [to light], black & white to middle [on/off button], and read & white to bottom [ looks like another light]. I have tried to put the black & white in every possible position on the 10 pin site in the motherboard, where they came from previously. Still nothing. Cannot acces a diagram of this model D2823 to find out for sure how to attach them. Can you help with this?

Also, why no sounds of power on? The power supply is completely silent. When surge protector is turned on and switch to on there is a green light lit up on the motherboard near the power supply. I am assuming that means power is getting to it. But why won't the power supply start? It came hand delivered from a computer company by a friend and should be OK. [unfortunately, friend is out of country for work and cannot help at this point].

Again, thanks. Prompt replies are greatly appreciated.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Make sure you have attached the square, 4 pin, 12v connector of the power supply to the MB near the CPU. Many times people forget this connection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. sharpconnect

sharpconnect Private E-2

That was one of the first things I connected.

6. sach2

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  7. sharpconnect

sharpconnect Private E-2

It only has 9 pins.

8. sach2

That would seem to be the board but I am not good at reading diagrams. I hope someone who is old hat at making front panel connections can help out.

Maybe registering at this forum and doing a search for your model number or front panel connections would be helpful?

9. sharpconnect

sharpconnect Private E-2

New power supply is in. wires all hooked back up. But when plug in & turn on & push on/off button in front, no indication of power connection. Power supply is silent. Still have a green light lit on the motherboard near the power supply. Any suggestions?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds