Emachine makes loud beep!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yturieow, Jul 4, 2004.

1. yturieow

yturieow Private E-2

Greetings all, and happy 4th of July!

I recently helped my mother buy and put together her first computer (EMachine), but after turning it on, it made a LOUD beep. The beep apparently is coming from the tower, because it did it again after turning off the speakers, and restarting. I know that some computers beep once during their POST checks to tell you everything is OK, but this beep is LOUD, and I'm hoping someone here can tell me a way to disable, or at least make it a little quieter. It scares everyone out of their socks, the first time they hear it boot I've done a Google search to try to figure it out myself, but all I could find out is that Emachines are indeed notorious for loud POST checks. No one actually suggests a fix for the problem. I don't remember much about the computer except that it's a new Emachine running XP Home. If additional tech specs are needed, I can find out. Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I know exactly what you mean... and that beep irritates the bejebus out of me so I always unhook the case speaker from the motherboard or dont install it in the first place unless I have ( rare ) hardware or OS issue then I plug it back in.

as far as I know their is no way other than unplugging the case speaker from the mobo to stop the beep.... by opening the case on a new PC you may well invalidate any warranty tho.

3. yturieow

yturieow Private E-2

Thanks Halo.
    Two more questions for you....
    1. Do you have an Emachine? If you do...
    2. Is the connection hardwired, or is it actually a plug that can be easily unplugged and then plugged back in?

4. Yingy

Yingy Private E-2

I agree with Halo. I also have heard that in some cases if you update your bios then that helps. With your computer being newer I wouldn't think it would have a new bios update out already. The speaker should just plug easily on/off your motherboard.

5. yturieow

yturieow Private E-2

OK, thanks Yingy. I'll be visiting her next week (printer's on the fritz), so I'll see if I can't easily (don't want to do any soldering on a warranted machine) unplug her speaker while I'm there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds