emachine monitor keeps shutting off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mkomisor, Aug 13, 2012.

1. mkomisor

mkomisor Private E-2

I did a search and read the thread about the monitor that keeps shutting off. I ran the Speccy and saved the file....I can't attach it here because it says it exceeds the file size.... I was hoping someone could explain it to me and possibly help me fix this problem. Any ideas on what I should do?
    M

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

We get this a lot. There is no need to attach files until we ask. Often we can help you without a long system info file.

Lets start fresh and tell me what is going on and we will see if we can help you. Odds are this is a driver issue or a power setting.

3. mkomisor

mkomisor Private E-2

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm at home now and not at the computer that is having trouble. I won't be at that again till 4:00 pm EST today.

The issue is this. Just recently while we have been working, all of a sudden the computer monitor will just shut off. When we press the on/off switch to the monitor, it flashes "No Signal" and then we see black. We have to re-boot the entire computer to get it to come back on.

I've taken the case off, and cleaned the dust out of the machine.
    Thanks
    M

4. Major Attitude

O.K lets do the steps assuming you do not have some sort of hardware failure underway. No signal means just that. The monitor is losing the signal somewhere between your video card and the screen narrowing down what to look at.

It is possible that you have a cable problem:

Shut off the computer.
    Loosen the cables on the monitor and video card and reconnect them firmly. Make sure the ports you are bolting into have not loosened up.
    Optional: If the monitor and computer can be connected a different way (HDMI, DVI) and you have access to cables this may be something you need to try later.

Loose video card:

Take cover off the computer. Remove the video card (assuming it is a video card and not onboard video) and clean the connections lightly with a basic pencil eraser. Reseat it firmly.

If these do not work you start to get into a spot where having extra parts (computer tech for example) around really helps you diagnose the problem. It helps if you know you can duplicate the problem every time as well. In this case, I would borrow a monitor from someone and see if it continues. If it does not, then your monitor has failed. If it continues we have to consider a bad video card.

5. mkomisor

mkomisor Private E-2

How do I know which are the video card and cable I'm looking for on the inside? Sorry...
    Are they labeled or easy to figure out?
    M

6. Major Attitude

Yes, they are. They have multiple pins either white or blue. Occasionally HDMI like you might use on a television. You have 2 cables coming from your monitor; power and video connection so it's the one that does not plug into the wall. It could simply be loose. Follow that cable to the video card and make sure that is also tight.

If it is an Emachine computer odds are it is what is called onboard video. This means it is built into the motherboard of the computer and you will not be able to remove the video card. How to tell? In the back of your computer, usually towards the bottom is a bunch of rectangular slots. If the video goes in there, it is a removeable video card. If the video card plugs in near the mouse, keyboard and everything else, it is onboard.

Took some photos for you:

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds