Email Client for Win 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by axelbrora, Sep 14, 2011.

1. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

Hi,

I have just upgraded my PC to Windows 7 and note that there is no email client. I have installed Windows Live Mail and I hate this programme with a vengenance. My wife refuses to use the PC until I get rid of WLM.

We have a laptop which still has Vista and Windows Mail which we are used to and is excellent. We really do not want two different email programmes so is there a way to install the Vista Windows Mail on my Win 7 PC? We can transfer the necessary files from the laptop if need be.

Step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Axel

2. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

3. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

Hi Solaris,

Many thanks for that. Should I overwrite the Windows Mail folder in "Programme Files" or "Programme Files (x86)"

Axel

4. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

I'm on a Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and most of the work I do regarding programs is in the x86 folder. Please please please, create a system restore point before doing anything!

For what it's worth, I didn't want to abandon Windows Mail either, but after being on Windows Live Mail for quite some time now, I can't see myself doing without it. It's really a very capable email, calendar, etc. client.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I agree. I've been using the 2009 version of Windows Live Mail since May 2010. I can't see the point in jumping through all the hoops in aforementioned references for trying to get Windows Mail to work in Windows 7.

Another good alternative to all of Microsoft's email clients is Thunderbird, from Mozilla. If you'd like to take a look at Thunderbird without installing it on your computer(s), you could get the portable version and run it off a flash drive.

6. Sam212

Sam212 Private E-2

If you're looking for an alternative, you might consider TrulyMail. It's what I personally use and I love it. It also has a portable version and can import from most email apps. Not sure why Microsoft doesn't make portable versions of their apps.

7. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, but I have now jumped through all of the burning hoops and have Windows Mail working in W7.

Axel

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You can't make money if someone can run a program on ALL his/her computers by using a portable version!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds