Email software problem or virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by skindog, Mar 18, 2005.

1. skindog

skindog Private E-2

Hello there, i am new to the site, wow what an amazing place! ...

Problem:

The problem i am having is a virus problem, i currently have and use msn, and messanger 7.0, i was sent a random file by a friend who had this virus, it opens a chat window without you authorising it, and then sends out a random file to anyone on your messanger list, these files are under a few different names i.e *Best Friend* / *Shoot Bill Gates* / *I Love You* / alsorts of different names. At the moment i run windows 2000 professional and its a home pc, i dont have virus protection of any sort, but i do use ad aware se personal free version, to debug every now and again, but even using the full scan it doesnt seem to pick this virus up, i have tried to go into registry and start up files, but when i try the page flashes off, same goes for task manager, it wont open, it also affects windows updates, when i click to do the updates it flashes off, i can actually get on msn messanger, but it wont allow me to open a chat page and speak to others online, when i click to get emails also, the page again starts to open then flashes off, sadly i know nothing about computers, and i am a Novice with a capital *N* ...one last thing, when the file was sent, the chat window flashed off and i didnt see what i had downloaded, so i went to my received files to view it, where i found the file *Best Friend* and i opened it, again the page flashed off, and then it disappeared from my files completely, i have searched for this file under its different names, but still cant find it, sometimes it appears in documents, and i delete it and reboot, but no good, i have managed to right click on it, and hit properties, all its tells me is its an application, in my main c drive, when i click find target, it puts up a box with all my files and documents on it, but i havent a clue where to look, or how to get rid of it, done several scans, and reboots, still nothing. (sorry for going on, hope someone can help) Skindog, ps i will return daily if anyone can help, as i cant get emails to know if someone has posted, anymore info you need please ask. have a nice day! ..*my first post, thank god its over lol* .. :eek:

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds