Email To Open Once Link Is Clicked

Discussion in 'Software' started by theremotedr, Mar 24, 2016.

1. theremotedr

theremotedr Master Sergeant

Hi,
    When i click on a link i see a message "There is no email programme associated etc etc"
    It used to work but opened up Windows Live Mail,even though i use Gmail all the time.
    I am using Firefox & Windows 7,I have currently in Firefox under options Mailto to be open with Use internet shortcut shell etc etc,if i change it to Gmail & click on the link nothing happens apart from not then beingable to see the link i just click on as page is now white.
    Any advice how i can overcome this ?

2. theremotedr

Hi,
    Ive just managed to fix this by finding the old mail setup exe.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes if you use online email - mailto: doesnt not work as you found out as you also worked out you need a desktop client, WindowsLiveMail is good (Thunderbird is a good alternative and only mention it as its unlikely WLM will be updated much as the push from Microsoft is to folks using the built in email apps in W81. and 10).

Glad you sorted this out on your own, always satisfying.

4. theremotedr

Thanks for the reply.
    Please can you advise, if you know why on an iPhone the same link is clicked, email opens up but no details are shown in the To field ?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Dont have an iPhone now but if its like my Windows Phone then a link clicked to send via email opens up the inbuilt email client, so this route to mailto: works, but the To Field/line is blank as you need to fill in who you are sending the link too.

6. theremotedr

Yeah, that seems to be the issue.
    The email is in the code which isn't visible to the eye.
    Link is clicked and PC etc have then filled the To field.
    Customer doesn't know the email so wouldn't know what to type.
    I've been thinking of a work around but so far nothing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds