emails default

Discussion in 'Software' started by watchntv, Jan 16, 2011.

1. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

when I click on a email link, my computer tries to open OUTLOOK express
    thats not what I want.
    I want gmail to open,
    if gmail is open, i want the email link I clicked to be automatically inserted in the new email using Gmail
    how do I change this default?

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Which OS and web browser do you use?

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

To open gmail would mean to open your web browser. But, your web browser is just that, a web browser. It's not an email client, such as Outlook Express. So, how can expect your web browser to open when click on an email link?

I believe your solution must involve some manual effort. You'll need to open your web browser and logon to your gmail account, open new message panel, and then copy and paste the email address into the To box.

However, you could set up your gmail account in Outlook Express or another email client, i.e. email program, and use it for your gmail. To do this, you also need to logon to your gmail account with a web browser, go to gmail settings, and enable your gmail account for POP mail.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

It's possible and even easy nowadays to set Firefox (and, I think Chrome - IE may be more complex) to open Gmail or Yahoo when you click a mailto link in a browser or most other programs in Windows. The methods will vary depending on which browser is used and which OS it's running on.

Firefox is easy now, (Alt) Tools > Options > Applications then click on the dropdown next to 'mailto'.

There are several new(ish) applications which 'hijack' the default email program and allows you to setup your browser and webmail of choice (GmailDefaultMaker, gAttach!) .

Google has the Gmail notifier (still Beta), the Google Talk client also includes this.

There's also an earlier discussion (#11 onwards) of this and some of the 'hacks' that may, or may not, be needed to enable other browsers or webmail providers.

5. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

thanks,
    that worked
    FF-->tools-->options--->mail to-->scrolled down to gmail

now I come upon an address I want to mail to, with gmail open in a window(logged on) I right click on the link and open a new window and it's the new email with the address already inserted
    thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds