Emails from Yahoo to Outlook

Discussion in 'Software' started by beckylousiana, Jan 9, 2009.

1. beckylousiana

beckylousiana Private E-2

I got an iPhone for Christmas, and have been attempting to get my Yahoo Mail Contacts downloaded into my Outlook 2003 account. BUT..... Once I set Yahoo up to forward all emails to outlook, i opened Outlook, since I had so many emails in Yahoo, it was taking FOREVER to sync Outlook with all the emails. I then deleted the Yahoo account out of Outlook so that it would stop trying to download all of the emails. Then, today since I had extra time, i re-entered Yahoo into Outlook, and now it is starting all over, Duplicating the emails that it has already downloaded??? (I have over 4000 emails). What can i do, and can i ever get the emails from my Contacts / Personal Folders on Yahoo Webmail to download onto Outlook?
    note: I had to set up Yahoo via the "other" Email account setup, it would never work with the link provided.
    Any advice for this iphone and Outlook Noobie will be Thankful!

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

on the yahoo account is it a pop 3?

3. beckylousiana

yes it is! it is the Web based Yahoo email

4. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

if you have pop 3 access you can set the account up in outlook just as you would on a home computer with outlook, I don't use an I phone but the settings should be similar. If you open yahoo export you address book or contact list , there are several formats you can use. you should be able to hook your i phone to a pc (i guess) when you open outlook on your phone go to import and locate that file you saved from yahoo then import that file. In outlook settings, they will ask you to allow duplicates, i'm not sure what the other question, pick the one that writes over duplicates.

5. beckylousiana

I have set up the yahoo to come to the Outlook and the Inbox is coming in just fine, (except for the duplicating) I don't have an "export" contacts option on my yahoo that I can find. it does give the option to Import, but that doesn't help me. maybe there is not a way to get all the mail, except maybe to move the mail in the folders to the inbox, then I would just have to sort them after they are in Outlook. :( Thanx Anyway!

6. beckylousiana

I am sorry, but I guess it might not be clear, i am talking about Outlook on my Desktop computer, not on my iPhone. It may sound confusing, but the main problem is that I forwarded all of my Web Based emails to my Desktop Outlook, and now it is downloading all 4000+ emails, and duplicating the ones that I had downloaded before. Does that make more sense? i will be out of the office for a while, i appreciate any feedback. Thanx!!

7. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Sorry for the misunderstanding, have you tried to contact yahoo?, maybe they have solution for exporting contacts and emails since you are paying for their service. I looked on yahoo's site and I couldn't find anything in reference to exporting email or contacts

8. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

If you log into your Yahoo! mail account then click the "Contacts" tab, then select "Import/Export" on the top right you should end up with something like this:

Attached Files:

9. beckylousiana

It has been a while, but just realized this was stil open. I did get the contacts downloaded, but it was a long, hard, difficult process, that I am sure everyone had already figured out. I still have an issue with Duplicate emails coming into my Outlook when I open it. I never recieved a suggestion on that issue.
    Will search again.:confused

10. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

What you may need to do is stop forwarding the mail from Yahoo and let Outlook retrieve it instead. Change your Yahoo e-mail options from the 'forward' settings to the 'Web & POP Access' settings. Then in Outlook set it to retrieve new mail.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds