Emergency answer needed about 32-64 bit

Discussion in 'Software' started by maryanjo, Feb 1, 2009.

1. maryanjo

maryanjo Private First Class

Hi guys, I'd be forever grateful if someone answers the following as I am about to buy Vista Ultimate and Office 2007.

I need to know what the difference is between 32 bit and 64 bit as regards performance etc. I have Vista Premium installed and it is 32-bit. I am waiting to hear back from the buyer which one their software is. Can I install 64-bit on a 32-bit?

I also have an old Dell but I can't use any kind of Vista on that.

I am using a Macbook 1.1 with VMWare Fusion using Windows Vista 32-bit. Please don't let the fact that its a Mac put you off answering. Just treat it as the same as Windows Vista. The Mac part is separate.

I need an answer quickly if any kind soul has the time.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

32 bit and 64 bit refer to the type of processor that your system has and the amount of memory that each processes at a time. 64 bit software will not install on a 32 bit system. 32 bit software will install and run on a 64 bit system. Hope this helps! :)

3. maryanjo

maryanjo Private First Class

Brilliant. Thank you so much Novice. You'll have to change your name because you are not a novice ... you're a major geek.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Why Ultimate, waste of money if you ask me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds