Empty Device manager

Discussion in 'Software' started by hackysackmatt, Jun 24, 2008.

1. hackysackmatt

hackysackmatt Private E-2

I know there are a couple threads about this already but they dont have the same symptoms that I seem to have.

My device manager is completely empty. Its also empty in safemode as well. The Plug and play service is started and i've tried stopping it and starting it over again but that didnt work. I did the permission changes for HKLM ENUM and that didnt work.

I tried the aproposfix.exe and that didnt work. I have super antispyware and and AVG free 8.0 and both come up clean. I tried to restore it back to a previous point and that didnt work either.

Anyone have anymore ideas?

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

So if you right click on "My Comp">>>>Properties>>>>>Hardware (tab)>>>>>Device Manager it is coming up with a blank screen?

Maybe open your run window and type "service.smc" and then compare them to this this guide and get everything setup as it was in "Default Home" mode as a start.

3. hackysackmatt

Yes it comes up completely blank. No devices at all. It also says that "service.smc" doesn't exist.

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

In the "run" window?

Well maybe try this (I learnt of chaslang) insert your OS CD and try "sfc /scannow".

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You might to also try Dial-A-Fix and check all the boxes in the registration center and click Go.
    Dial-A-Fix http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4899.html
    You can also try using the following link, scroll to #107 and use the choice in the right column. I haven't used this particular fix, but have used others from this same site and had great results.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

I hope this helps! Good luck!

[dlb]
    :major

6. hackysackmatt

Thanks alot guys but none of those solutions have worked for me. I went ahead and am trying to run a repair install and its hanging installing devices with 33 min left and it hasn't budged. Im going to leave it over the afternoon here and see what happens when i get back to it but im not hopeful.

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1096912804

9. hackysackmatt

Like I said in my previous post I have tried both of those already. Thanks.

10. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Does the Device Manager show when you boot in Safe Mode?
    If so, go to Add/Remove Programs and look for "contextplus"; remove it and reboot.

This fix was recommended on the SpyBot website:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=651

ContextPlus, known for the Apropos rootkit which plagued thousands of internet users, has shut down operations. It is no longer supported by its designers.
    According to ContextPlus

11. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

On a second reading of your original post I see that you reported than it was not visible in Safe Mode.
    In any case I think this is a good candidate for the Malware Forum.

12. hackysackmatt

Ok thanks for your help guys, I'll try there.

13. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

From Microsoft: No Items Appear in the Device Manager List When You Open It - link.

14. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds