Enable Caps Lock At Startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by GTDarthYoda, Oct 27, 2011.

1. GTDarthYoda

GTDarthYoda Private E-2

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91086-toggle-keys-startup.html

I've already tried the instructions on the link above and after i re-login or restart it defaults back to 2 instead of 3. What am I doing wrong or is there a program i can use to just enable it at startup or something. this is for work and everything is used in caps and i'd be nice to have in enable off startup because our computers restart everyday.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I am not sure if this will make a difference but try this. Click the Windows globe in Vista, type regedit in the search box and then right click on regedit.exe and select "Run as Administrator". Do the change to the registry. Close regedit then reboot and see if the fix sticks.

3. GTDarthYoda

GTDarthYoda Private E-2

tried that same result. reverts back to 2 upon restarting.

4. GTDarthYoda

GTDarthYoda Private E-2

5. tgell

Did you try option 2 on the link you provided. This would cause Caps lock to be on when anybody on the computer logged on.

6. GTDarthYoda

GTDarthYoda Private E-2

thats the strange part. I did option 2 and the setting will stay at 3 but its still not enabling the caps lock. I've tried this on 4 different computers with no luck. 2 with antivirus on it 2 without

7. tgell

Do not change anything here but go into regedit and right click the "Keyboard" folder in Option 1 and select Permissions. Click the Advanced button. Under Permissions you should see your user name that you logged on to with full control allowed.

8. GTDarthYoda

GTDarthYoda Private E-2

yep says full control.
    It doesn't allow me to edit any of the settings tho. is that supposed to be the case?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  9. tgell

Yes, that is normal. I really do not understand why your settings are not sticking. I know you can enable Num Lock in BIOS but I do not think that is available for Caps Lock. I wonder if enabling Num Lock in BIOS would have an effect? Is Num Lock disabled in BIOS? If it is enabled, try disabling and do the regedit update again. I am out of ideas other than that. Hopefully somebody here can throw out some other ideas.

10. GTDarthYoda

GTDarthYoda Private E-2

It sticks. If i go back into regedit before i restart or log off, its still 3. only changes afterwards.

Again no luck. Thanks for trying tho.

I forgot mention this is a windows 7 pro machine, all 4 of them, same model computers too. should that matter at all?

also the num lock did turn on too >.<

My personal laptop at home does the same thing, is it a windows 7 thing?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  11. tgell

Should not make a difference. Since the link you gave was for Vista, I would think it would also work for Windows 7.

12. tgell

This is sort of a cludge but what if you enabled Num Lock in Bios and set the regkey to 1 to enable Caps Lock at startup. This should give you both Caps Lock and Num Lock at startup.

13. GTDarthYoda

GTDarthYoda Private E-2

tried that too. I think windows 7 just wants to be difficult. I might send them a message and see what they say.

1 of these computers is straight out of the box only installed our database software on it so...

14. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

15. GTDarthYoda

GTDarthYoda Private E-2

yep tried that too. found that before i came here without luck. thats for vista but most things for vista work for 7 but I can't seem to get this one to stick.

16. unimatrix001

unimatrix001 Private E-2

17. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Search on Enable Caps Lock At Startup "vista"
    There are "millions" of links to solve your problem., using an edit to the Registry.

Personally, I use a very old program called Toggler, now Shareware, :( but free many years ago.;)

It is only a 40KB zipped program. :cool (see thumbnail)
    The RED "C" (Caps) and the BLUE "N" (NUM LOCK) indicate if you have either turned on. They disappear if turned OFF. :-D

Bazza

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds