enable l2 cache on compaq bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fierofan, Oct 10, 2005.

1. fierofan

fierofan Private E-2

My cache is not working. I have the compaq version of the mitac 5114vu board, called the camaro, if that helps. I wanna know if there are some hot keys or something to enable it, or if there is resque software that will work or something else like that. I believe the board was out of a presario 7478, as that seems to fit well. Any information of the bios or the cache will be greatly appriciated!

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

3. fierofan

fierofan Private E-2

You guessed the processor correctly, however, the l2 cache is not located on the processor, it is located on a surface mount ic chip on the motherboard, just next to the socket for the processor. It's functionality is controled by bios on the mitac version of my board, however in the compaq version, I cannot seem to directly find a way to enable it in bios. I'm sure there is some way, but I haven't found it. Does anyone know? Is there a program that I could boot off of that would give me more options to change the bios than just entering it normally? Like is there some sort of service disk? I really am at a loss here, as I am used to working with fully functioning bioses.

4. fierofan

fierofan Private E-2

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Like I stated, there is no way to "enable" the L2 cache on this particular processor, due to the fact that it may or may not need it, and the processor decides that fact. There is a Registry edit to change how the OS uses the L2 cache, but that is completely different.

As for the fact that it can or cannot be on the board, the Pentium-4 processors have the L2 built into them, the older ones did have it onboard on the motherboard also.

6. fierofan

fierofan Private E-2

interesting, so even though the motherboard has l2 cache on it, the processor has its own, so it is not using the onboard cache? I guess I am a little confused. Then why does wcpuid, cpu-z and pc wizard 2005 all tell me the cache is not working. What is the registry value for the l2 and how does it affect it. My computer is running really sub par right now and it is because it doesn't have it's cache. Thanks for your help.

7. fierofan

fierofan Private E-2

I checked the specs of the processor.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/21850.pdf

Please note chapter 7. The only cache on the chip is l1, the l2 is external, and on the board. My board, the mitac version anyways, had this cache enabled or disabled by the bios. Since I have the compaq version, i don't have access to this feature as they have their very limited bios. My l2 cache is not working, and I want it enabled or whatever. Now, maybe it is working, but windows is not using it? What was that about the registry value? thanks for the help

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Since it is not working, that means that your processor does not use it as I stated. And as I also stated, some boards have a L2 cache on the board, but the Pentium-4 chips have it built into the chip. Manufacturers learned in a quick year that between the Pentium-II chips (this includes AMD-K6 (2)), that having the L2 built into the chip allowed it to perform operations faster.

Since there is no way to enable it in the bios, and same for in the registry, due to it will never use it (it being the processor), do not worry about it. L2 caches can be 64, 128, 256.

9. fierofan

fierofan Private E-2

You have peaked my interests. What do the registry values do?

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

The L2 cache for a K6-2 processor is located on the motherboard actually. It comes in 256k and 512k configurations depending on your motherboard. It can also be adjusted, or turned on and off in the BIOS. Remember though, while 512k sounds like a lot of cache it is only running at the 100mhz FSB speed of the processor and MOBO, not the processor core speed.

Enter your BIOS under Advanced BIOS Features you will find CPU Internal Cache, External Cache. This item enables or disables the cache of your system.

11. fierofan

fierofan Private E-2

Huh?

12. fierofan

fierofan Private E-2

EXACTLY! But you see, since I have the compaq bios, the l2 enabler is gone. I wanna know if there is a way to, i donno, hack the bios, or a secret way to get more functions or something. I don't think the bios has enabled it, and I want it.

13. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

If it's not in the BIOS, then you should check and see if there is a BIOS update for your Compaq. What Model of Compaq do you have?

14. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

15. fierofan

fierofan Private E-2

ok I bought the mitac version of this board thinking it would solve my problems. I now have the option to enable or disable the cache on the mainboard, but it does nothing. None of the system stat. utilities I have recognise the l2. Does xp have a problem recognising and utilizing the external cache?

16. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Just curious, why are you worried about this? Your computer is not going to magically run faster... It is still an AMD K6-2 533Mhz processor.

17. fierofan

fierofan Private E-2

but it is running like my 200mhz computer!!!!! it will run faster...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds