Enable S-Video Output?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by souther32, Dec 21, 2010.

1. souther32

souther32 Private E-2

I bought a S-Video to RCA adapter and im trying to connect my laptop to my computer. When i try and connect it nothing happens and I tried pressing FN then F4 but it seems as if its trying to connect via VGA.
    Went to properties / Screen display, only shows this display and connect via VGA.
    I tried to update the driver but I can't download anything since from HP.com cause I updated from Vista to Windows 7 and they dont support driver updates to Windows 7.

HP Pavillion dv6000 (says dv6700 on back)
    AMD Turion 64 x2
    NVIDIA GeFORCE 7150M / nForce 630M
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit

Ok I went to Device Manager and just updated computer, still no luck.
    Is there anything I can do to enable / turn on S-Video
    or a program to force s-video output?
    Thanks in advance

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You can connect two computers by parallel cable (very old and slow), cross-over cable (resembles ethernet but the wires are crossed) or USB.
    You do not connect two computers together using a video cable.

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I was just going to ask myself what exactly he intended to do.

4. souther32

souther32 Private E-2

wow I ment to say Laptop to TV using S-Video to RCA...

Funny how one word can make you look like an idiot

5. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

Ironically, I'm attempting to recover data from a hard drive from the same model laptop (HP DV6700).

Meanwhile, in order for an S-video connection to work and be recognized, the connected screen has to be powered on and set to the S-video input (which on the TV, using the adapter, would be the RCA input). Unfortunately, while I've connected using S-video, I've never used an adapter. S-video has a two-way feedback technology (which is why the device has to be on/set to the input)... not sure how that would work with the RCA connection.

While the TV is connected with the S-video and RCA adapter, powered on, and set to the RCA input, have you looked in your "Adjust Screen Resolution" settings from the Windows Desktop right-click menu, to see if the TV is detected?

6. souther32

souther32 Private E-2

This is what I am seeing

[​IMG]

7. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Okay, and am I correct in that the "Display device on: VGA" isn't your TV? Or if it is, it's not willing to display anything on the TV?

EDIT: Have you tried selecting different options in "Multiple Displays", i.e. "Duplicate these displays"?

8. souther32

souther32 Private E-2

Ive got a S-Video to RCA cable not S-Video to VGA.
    Yes ive currently got it on Multiple Monitors and Duplicating displays and have the right setting on the TV and everything.
    Theoretically it should work but nothing ever goes as plan

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Right... I'm trackin' your cabling setup! Strange.

10. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Have you tried forcing TV detection through the Nvidia control panel?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• mds.jpg
      mds.jpg
      File size:
      79.2 KB
      Views:
  11. johndoe17

johndoe17 Private E-2

Try Windows-key + P combination.
    Choose appropriate option. (extend desktop 4 example)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds