Enabling DMA Mode for DVD-RW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Layzie Bone, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Layzie Bone

Layzie Bone Private E-2

I cannot remember how to enable DMA mode on a DVD-RW drive to save my life. I read an KB article on M$ about re-enabling DMA mode which involves uninstalling and reinstalling the drive, however, likewise it didn't work, DMA mode is still disabled. What are other ways to enable DMA mode on CD/DVD drives. I know it's easy, I did it before, but can't seem to remember. Thanks

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

On windows did it through the hardware manager

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That is:

Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.

Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available.

3. Layzie Bone

Layzie Bone Private E-2

Thank you. For some reason i thought I did this through some other program like nero. More than likely I was probably prompted it to turn it back on, versus going through device manager....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds