Encrypted Files on WIN XP pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by kman, Sep 1, 2003.

1. kman

kman Private First Class

I have some encrypted files on my slave HDD. If I reformat the primary HDD, will I be able to still access my envrypted files on my slave HDD?

2. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

OS? Are they encrypted by third aprty software or your OS?

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

if you're using NTFS's built in encryption, then you can recover the files ONLY if you "take ownership" of them in the security properties of the files.

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I should think it would be safer to disable the file encryption on a temporary basis.

5. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Ditto. I've read that the authorization for those files is locked into your current Windows installation. Blow away windows and lose the key to unlock them permanently. Better to unencrypt first than chance losing them. And losing that disk space, as you supposedly can't delete them either.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I would also go with un-encrypting the data before re-install/re-format as IF you have not backed up your EFS private key or have a designated DRA ( Data Recovery Agent ) key then un-encrypting is the safest way of preserving your data after a re-install.

7. kman

kman Private First Class

Thanks and it is Windows XP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds