End of Line and Carriage Return

Discussion in 'Software' started by ceal21c, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ceal21c

ceal21c Private E-2

Hey guys,

I am reading data from a .csv file into a text box. In the textbox columns are seperated by commas but the rows are seperated by a character that I do not recognize-it looks like two pipe symbols "||". I think it may be a carriage return or end of line symbol. I want to search this string for a particular instance of this character but I don't even know what the char is and I can't copy and paste it from my text box to my Instr() function as it only advances the cursor to the next line when I do. Does any one know what the correct syntax for this character?

2. ceal21c

ceal21c Private E-2

Thank you all for you help the soloution for this problem is to use vbCrLf as the search criteria in the following statement:

CustomerCodeStartPosition = InStr(CustomerAR, vbCrLf)

This will search CustomerAR for instances of carriage return and line feed (which seperates rows within the .csv file) and return its position.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds