End Program: Sample hangs every time I turn puter off

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrammawNewbie, Jan 10, 2007.

1. GrammawNewbie

GrammawNewbie Private E-2

I am using a Dell Inspiron 8600 (laptop) running Win XP and God only knows what else. I realize I have no idea what info to give you good folks to diagnose this, but for months now, my computer will not shut off until, after the Turn Off and Shut Down (or Restart) are clicked, we have to wait for this box that says "Ending Program:Sample" and click end. The "sample" part has me confused. When I look at Task Manager, no applications are open and I am clueless as to what processes might be making this flukey thing happen.

Where does one start to dig for this kind of problem? What info can I give y'all to help me take a stab at it?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you do a search for it?
    Is there a process running in taskmanager that is showing cpu usage?

3. b_timmins

b_timmins Private E-2

Just in case you haven't yet foun found the problem using Google, it is due to The Intel Proset Drivers for your wireless card. Googling for End Program Sample will show various threads.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

This link might help:

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/149783.html

5. PooF559

PooF559 Private E-2

Well glad to find that answer - on a customers' Dell Latitude D610, I was experiencing the same problem with "Sample" and having to end the program at shutdown/restart, and I was concerned about a virus on the system, especially since when I googled "sample end program", the first several links indicated viral activity, and more so when, upon clicking those links, the browser (mozilla) redirected to ad/market sites! I am uninstalling the Proset drivers right now, hoping that clears up the "sample" program, although even after running malware bytes (fully updated) with clean results, I am still experiencing various redirects - "shoppingpolice", "freeze.com", various "search" type pages...if anyone has had these types of issues as well as this "sample" program, I would appreciate some feedback...I'm MCSE, CCNA, A+, Net+, etc. etc. and am rather frustrated at my inability as of yet to end this sitiuation - I've added AdBlockPlus, scanned with Malware Bytes and Housecall, checked the proxy settings, covered all the basics and am feeling a bit inept...any similar experiences would at least soothe my ego....thanx in advance!
    :-o:major

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

7. walldoo99

walldoo99 Private E-2

I know this is an old thread but I uninstalled the pro set and it shuts down great.wooo hoo so the info is sstill valid and useful for people trying to salvage antique computers. This Tecra M2 was about to get tossed off a tall building.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds