Epson Stylus TX 510 FN or Epson L550 Ink Tank Printer - which one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by indieprint, Jul 16, 2013.

1. indieprint

indieprint Private E-2

Hello!

Request recommendation between Epson Stylus TX 510 FN or Epson L550 Ink Tank Printer -- I had bought the Epson Stylus 510 FN Multifunction Inkjet Printer in January 2013 and have been facing different problems with at least 5 service requests for different errors/problems. While the local Epson service team has been very helpful and supportive, I am now fed up with the unit and requested Epson for a new replacement or an option to go for a higher-end model (a model upgrade, with the price differential to be borne from my side, of course). The Epson regional head promised a replacement of the unit as the minimum.

I'm waiting to hear from them (they promised to revert in the next day or two), though the minimum they have promised is that they are ready/willing to replace the error-prone Espon Stylus TX 510 FN that I have with a new unit (i.e., same model). If the company HQ does agree for a model upgrade (with the price differential to be borne by me), should I go for the Ink Tank system-based L550 (Fax and Wireless/Ethernet are a must). I see that the Ink Tank systems have been introduced recently. What's their performance like?

Appreciate any feedback on the L550 specifically please. Is the bad experience with the Stylus TX 510 FN (in my case) unusual, or, is the model (Stylus TX 510 FN) having inherent glitches/flaws itself? Finally, should I stick with the Stylus TX 510 FN (i.e., the new Stylus 510FN unit replacement by the company is promised as the minimum, as it is under warranty still), or, would the L550 make a better choice overall?

Awaiting your suggestions/advice eagerly, as I've to make up my mind shortly (may be in a day or two).
    Thanks

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum indieprint:) In all likely hood the best answer I think you'll receive would be to compare two reviews and look for features that you will require.

The problem with printers is they are especially electrically and mechanically complex even in the computing world and the reliability can be very random when you have so many moving parts, also there is the work load, maintenance schedule, toner and ink quality, paper quality, computer stability, multiple experience levels. You could read ten reviews of the same printer and each would have a different experience so even if your lucky enough to receive a reply from a forum member with his experience of those two exact models I wouldn't use that as the basis for a new purchase.

So I would read as many respected technology reviews and also as many consumer reviews from printing suppliers and of course take into account you ink running costs.

Again welcome to the forum and I hope you get a more helpful reply.:)

3. indieprint

indieprint Private E-2

Thanks, Rikky, for welcoming me to the forums and also your advice. Yes, I fully agree with your opinion. I am leaning towards the L550 at this moment. Unfortunately, not many reviews on the L550 as yet (the product being launched recently). One or two reviews weren't showering praises on the L550, though! I think you get what you pay for!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds