Erasing Dvd's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wiskerluv, Dec 10, 2016.

1. wiskerluv

wiskerluv Private E-2

I have some DVD's with old programs that I want to erase. I have tried every free app I could find on the internet and none of them will erase the disk These are DVD-RW's. I am using Win XP Pro if that helps. I tried Ashampoo burning studio, Image Burn, Burnaware and a host of other free ones. I am getting errors that just say they can't erase the DVD's I even tried the Windows app that is supposed to erase but even that doesn't work.

However, out of 5 disks, only 1 actually was erased. I just can't figure this out. I unstalled just about all those apps except I kept Ashampoo (free version). Most of those apps just froze my computer.

2. EJB

EJB Corporal

Will this answer your problem?
    Can you insert a DVD then select the drive, right click, select format?

Or select the files with a right click and then delete?

If I have missed the point:)

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Since they're erroring out, it could also be that there's dust/debris on the surface of the DVDs. It only takes a speck. The laser could need cleaning as well.

5. wiskerluv

wiskerluv Private E-2

I tried that program Nero InCD, but it keeps "Not Responding". Then when it does respond, tells me there is no disk in the drive, which there is. Grrrr!

The drive has been laser cleaned just recently, but I will try it again.

Thanks for your responses.

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

There are literally dozens of guides to erasing the content of a DVD-RW when you do a simple 'How to erase a DVD RW' internet search. I suggest you try some of the options given.

7. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Were the DVDs burned on the optical drive you're using now or a different one? Some drives are "finicky" about the brand of CD/DVD used. For instance, I can't use Memorex DVD±RW. I have to use Verbatim.

8. wiskerluv

wiskerluv Private E-2

Yes they were burned on the same optical drive but you could be right. They are old "Imation" disks. I may just pitch them. Now I am using Verbatim since that the the preferred brand.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds