Erasing hard drive w/FDISK?

Discussion in 'Software' started by deville, Dec 11, 2004.

1. deville

deville Private E-2

I would like to erase everything from my hard drive, I don't know how to get to FDISK menus, I guess I'm supposed to boot from a disk first or something but I don't seem to be able to do that right. Please help, I will need step by step instructions.

Thank You

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. deville

deville Private E-2

ok, I copied a fresh windowsME boot disk on another computer and then tried to run it on the problem computer. It seemed to start running but then a "BATCH ASSISTANT" window pops up telling me "insert floppy disk to write", since the boot floppy was already in I assumed to put in a blank floppy then click OK, but then "ERROR" window pops up saying "THE CURRENT IMAGE FORMAT IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THE DISK DRIVE"

Also, does my boot disk operating system need to match current operating system?

Thank You.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

What OS are you using?

The WinMe boot disk you have was it produced on a WinME machine by going to Add/Remove > Startup Disk and creating a disk OR did you download one?

If you downloaded one it may very well need to be uncompresses by running the .exe file then it will ask you for a black floppy to uncompress the files onto.

I have use a WinME boot disk on XP with no problems... are you booting your PC with the floppy already in the drive?

You will need to enter the Bios and check that the first boot device is the floppy drive then save & exit the bios but have the floppy already in the drive, once your Pc reboots it will boot to the floppy and give you a menu like in the first link I posted, then follow the instructions.

5. deville

deville Private E-2

A friend came over last night and gave me a new hard drive he had lying around. Not exactly proud of that fix but I am back in action.

Your assistance was much appreciated.

Thank You.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds