Erractic highlight /selection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by timothy33908, Jun 4, 2008.

1. timothy33908

timothy33908 Private E-2

I have run Super Anti Spyware for several weeks. No problem found a lot of stuff. Yesterday, I received an error message from MS Visual Basic C++ Runtime Library. Labeled - Runtime error.
    The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Contact ..

I tried to re-install. - Same message.
    I just downloaded a fresh copy from your site - same message

Meanwhile, I have another problem with my laptop. When I boot, option for XP Pro or Recovery Console appears. Selection highlight moves from one to the other at a rapid pace by itself. When I press the down arrow key, selection stops moving. Then I can proceed normally. Then occasionally, something similar occurs. I'll be in a sub-menu like Firefox Bookmarks and suddenly the highlight rapidly scrolls from bottom to top and then repeats continuously. Again, pressing the down arrow key stops it. If I try to move scroll bar with my mouse, I can drag it but as soon as I let go, back to the top. Also while dragging , it appears to resist my control .

A related problem occurs when suddenly keyboard input changes to inserting characters on the left of the cursor - essentially writing backwards. Pressing down arrow key returns it to normal operation

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

3. timothy33908

timothy33908 Private E-2

I normally use my external Logitech S 510 keyboard. Only time I use laptop keyboard is when I need to stop the erractic selection highlighting. Then I press the laptop down arrow key and it stops. Pressing the external keyboard down arrow key does not stop movement. Possible conflict in the laptop keyboard scan codes? or does the external and laptop keyboards use the same stuff?

The erractic movement/selection/highlighting always moves from bottom to top like pressing the UP arrow key. I installed Comodo Hypersight rootkit and normally it reports "Suspicious kernal activity" before the erractic movements. 2 weeks ago I had the same problem, went through all the malware removal steps. When I did the ComboFix, problem disappeared for a week. Also on boot up, I was getting a series of 6-10 beeps , a pause and then another series of 6-10 beeps. Going through the malware removal steps + installing Avast + un-installing McAfee + installing Zone Alarm the beeps stopped. No beeps now, but my "B" key on my laptop acts like a home key.

CA Yahoo has picked up KaZaA and Bifrost several times. Avast, McAfee, SpyBlaster, Malware Bytes, and SpyBot never detected.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds