error 12029 please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anarchy304, May 10, 2009.

1. anarchy304

anarchy304 Private E-2

i'm running on a compaq presario c300 older laptop. it has windows xp sp2 and i'm having problems connecting to the internet with ie, using cricket broadband. i've installed the correct drivers and i'm actually able to ping yahoo.com. i've sent 4 packets and i receive 4 packets, but when i use any internet browser it will give me a connection errors. here is the diagnostic message

Last diagnostic run time: 05/09/09 22:58:16 Network Adapter Diagnostic
    Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
    Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
    info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection 2, Device=Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
    info Network connection: Name=Cricket Wireless, Device=UTStarcom USB Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
    info Network connection: Name=Britannica.com Free Internet Access -- DO NOT REMOVE, Device=UTStarcom USB Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
    info Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection
    action User input required: Select network connection
    info Ethernet connection selected
    Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Media disconnected
    warn Network adapter status not healthy
    action Manual repair: Reconnect network cable
    info User has reconnected the network cable
    info The network adapter is in a transient status, retrying...
    warn Network adapter status not healthy
    info Redirecting user to support call

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error Could not make an FTP connection.

can someone please help me because i'm not the most computer literate person. thank you everyone

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

are you using wireless or wired? if wireless, try using wired to see if that helps..
    what firewall do you have?
    and lastly, you might want to check for malware, as they can cause internet problems, like blocking microsoft.com and others.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

3. anarchy304

anarchy304 Private E-2

i have disabled all firewalls, and i'm not sure if cricket broadband is considered wireless or wired. it's a usb plug in modem. i'm not sure if it's g3 or not either. oh i heard about that virus/worm that blocks msn.com so i tried to use put yahoo.com into the browser, and still nothing. if i wasn't so cheat (really broke) i would take it to best buy to see if they can fix it. does anyone know how much that would cost??

thanks for the response i'm still trying!!!

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

is it this?
    http://www.mycricket.com/broadband/

you might just want to talk to their customer service and make sure you are set up correctly. did you use a different provider before on the same computer? if so, you may need to run the internet connection wizard again to make sure you are using the usb modem for internet.

5. anarchy304

anarchy304 Private E-2

actually i have called them 3 times, and everytime they say they will have a tech call me within 3 days. well it's been about 2.5 months now and still nothing. at least i have the desktop to work on and have a little bit of fun. oh i have done the internet wizard twice and still nothing. anything else i could try?? oh and i really appreciate the imput, and it shows your trying (you even went to their webpage). thank you very much.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds