Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Help.

Discussion in 'Software' started by thehawk70, Oct 7, 2008.

1. thehawk70

thehawk70 Guest

Can't instal a program without receiving this message!

O/S is Windows XP Home SP 3 and I have only (1) profile on my PC with full priviliges. A check of my Registry shows the registry key in place but has only many Creative entries (my sound system) and (1) system entry.

2. TechnoFeeb

TechnoFeeb Private E-2

Re: Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows\He

What program are you trying to install?

3. thehawk70

thehawk70 Guest

Re: Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows\He

ANY new program installation!

4. TechnoFeeb

TechnoFeeb Private E-2

5. williamsps

williamsps Private E-2

I'm getting the same sort of error when trying to install, reinstall, update various software. Most recently, trying to reinstall Excel 2007 from a CD. Registry key I'm told I don't have permission for is Word.Addin.8\ShellNew. I'm able to locate it in registry & follow directions from various sources to change permissions. But for this ShellNew key, every time I try to save a permission change I get an error message saying my changes cant be saved & that, in fact the key can't be opened. I'm always attempting this with administrator privileges. Vista Home Basic.

6. TechnoFeeb

TechnoFeeb Private E-2

Have you been able to add the new user "Everyone" to permissions for the key and set full permissions for it? Also note that "Everyone" is case-sensitive....

7. williamsps

williamsps Private E-2

I've tried that. But when I try to change permissions & then click on "OK" I consistently get an error message saying that the permission changes cannot be saved. The latest incident is today when I tried to install the latest update to Adobe Reader. As the installation proceeded, I got a message identifying a registry key that I didn't have permission for. It was the AcroRd32.exe key on the OpenWithList. When I look at who has permission for that key, the box showing who has permission is empty. I can proceed with adding permissions, but I'm not allowed to save the changes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds