Error 1402: While installing Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by HarmonyK, May 8, 2009.

1. HarmonyK

HarmonyK Private E-2

I've been having some trouble installing Adobe Acrobat Reader on my Windows XP Pro system. Everytime, I run the install it goes till about 90% then comes across an error that reads:

Error 1402.Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

I did some searching and everything suggested making sure that I have proper permissions in the register for it, my problem is that when I go to find the key it doesn't appear to exist in that location. So now I'm wondering is there a way I can get the MSFS key back into the registry? Or is there something else I'm supposed to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

P.S. I hope I choose the correct forum for this figured its closest match was Software.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You could try creating an empty key in the registry for MSFS using the path you mentioned, or try using Adobe Reader Lite from this link. I have installed this on dozens of PCs and have never had any issues with it.
    :-D

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Are you logged in as the Admin?

Try this from Adobe http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/329/329137.html

Also check this info for me, open the registry and open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and right click SOFTWARE and choose Permissions from the list do you see SYSTEM in the list if so click to highlight it and are the top two boxes in Permissions for SYSTEM ticked?

4. HarmonyK

HarmonyK Private E-2

Hey, thanks for the replies guys.

Halo, did what you said and both are checked for allow. I tried the adobe thing before I came on here, problem for me is the MSFS key doesn't exist in the first place so I can't exactly allow it permission.

Thanks, dlb, gonna go ahead and try the adobe lite and maybe try creating the key myself.

5. hragils

hragils Private E-2

When i install adobe acrobat reader 9.0 a message box appear :
    error 1402. Could not open key: hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/windows nt/current version/windows. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
    I try open it from registry editor a message box appear :
    Error opening key
    Cannot open windows: Error while opening key.
    What's happen

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds