error 1719 the windows installer service.....

Discussion in 'Software' started by shonuff5, Aug 6, 2006.

1. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

could not be accessed. I've tried everything including reinstalling windows installer, still no luck. I'm unable to uninstall any programs etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

3. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

Yeah that's the page where i tried everything it said but nothing helped, then I came here.

4. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Did you try to Re-register the Windows Installer?

5. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

thank you for the reply....and yes I tried everything it said to try on that page.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Go to the link below and scroll down to # 94 on the left-hand side (Windows Installer Fix) and run it. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Steve

7. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

Just ran it and it's still saying the same thing.

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Maybe the Windows Installer service is disabled on the machine. From the Start menu select Run and type "services.msc". Double-click on the service named "Windows Installer". Check the value in the 'Startup type:' field. If it's currently set to "Disabled", then that is your problem. Change it by selecting "Manual" from the drop-down box.

Steve

9. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

It's on maual, but when i double click onit, it says.... Configuration manager: The specefied device instant handle does not correspond to a present device.

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Click OK. Then try to install something.

Steve

11. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

Still doing same thing

12. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

I'm still having this issue with my computer. Is it ok if I post a HJT log?

13. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

Anyone?

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

Download Dial-a-fix:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4899

Double click the 7-zip executable...Extract to a folder you recognize. Desktop is fine, it will create a folder call "dial-a-fix".

Next, click the box next to: "Fix windows installer"

Click Go.

If the program asks for a reboot, then reboot, rerun this program, then recheck "Fix windows installer". And click go. If it asks for this again, click no for the reboot, and allow it to continue.

15. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

I'm still getting the windows installer service could not be accessed when i try to install or uninstall a program.

16. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

This is Windows XP?

Steve

17. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

Yes, xp pro.

18. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Were you able to run this command msiexec /regserver and then press ENTER, or did you get an "access denied" error?

Also, what Firewall are you using?

Steve

19. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

yes I was able to run the command (from cmd?)

And i am using windows firewall.

20. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Do you remember when this started, had you been disabling some Services?

1. Click Start > Run and type Services.msc

2. Double-click DCOM Server Process Launcher

3. Set its startup type to Automatic

4. Restart and try installs.

Steve

21. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

Was already set to automatic.

22. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Since everything else is working so well..............;) Try this:

First, click Start > Run, and type msiexec /unregister in the Open field, and click OK.

In My Computer, click Search and locate the following three files: msi.dll, msiexec.exe, and msihnd.dll. They are hidden files so you’ll need to select Search Hidden Files And Folders under More Advanced Options. When you’ve found the files, rename them, by removing the .dll and .exe extensions and replacing them with an .old extension(for example msi.dll becomes msi.old).

Once you’ve renamed the files, WinXP will automatically replace them with a new copy from the dllcache (a hidden folder where copies of important system files are kept in case you mistakenly delete or rename critical system files). Restart your computer and see if that does it.

Steve

23. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

there are about 5 each of the files. Is that normal?

24. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

The one(s) you want are located in C:\Windows\System32. I am on XP Home now and only have one of each in that location. Do not mess with the one(s) in blue.

Steve

25. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

Well i already did before i read your message, then I did a system restore and now it doesn't find any of those files when i run a new search.

26. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I don't understand what you did. :confused:

Steve

27. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

You said don't mess with the ones in blue, but i had already did it.

28. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you install any updates prior to this happening? Have you checked your event viewer (system and applications) for errors that correspond to the problems?

29. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Also, try the steps below, be sure to have your XP cd handy. It might replace those that you renamed in blue.

Go to Start > Run > cmd and type sfc /scannow (note the space between the c and the forward slash)

Steve

30. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

Did the scan but nothing has changed.

31. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

Did not install any updates prior to this problem, and do not understand what the event viewer is.

32. TimW

Go to control panel / click on admin. tools / click on event viewer / three tabs-system, applications, security .....each will have a list of "events" ...most will be normal operating events ...we want to know the ones marked with an X ...click on one and you will see info about the problem with a link for more info and then another link to MS$ knowledge base about the problem ....let us know what you find ....you can also get info at http://www.eventid.net

33. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

Service control maager, windows search service, and MSI installer has alot ox x's on those. There are way too many x's to list. Is there a way to copy and paste them?

34. theefool

theefool Geekified

Just give us the most recent one. :) All the details :)

Have you tried going to windows updates, and getting any non-critical updates? Like, netframwork or something like that?

Does this work? If not, does it give ye an error code?

35. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

For security it is empty.

For system:

Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    Event ID: 7000
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Version: 5.0
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_FAILED
    Message: The %1 service failed to start due to the following error:
    %2.

Explanation
    Service Control Manager (SCM) could not start the specified service, probably because the service is not configured correctly.

For application:

Details
    Event ID: 11719
    Source: MsiInstaller

We're sorry
    There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use the links in the Support area to determine whether any additional information might be available elsewhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for searching on this message; your search helps us identify those areas for which we need to provide more information.

36. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

Did I do that right?

37. TimW

Do you have the xp pro cd? .....might be easier to do a repair install than to keep working on this as in (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767 ....which gets complicated).

Oh, one other stupid question ....you are not trying to do this all in safe mode, are you?

38. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

yes I have windows xp pro cd and no I'm not using safe mode.

39. TimW

40. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

Ok i had to get on my laptop while I'm doing the reinstall process, I made it all the way to screen 14 and it has beeen stuck at installing devices with 34 mins to go for hours now. I tried to reboot and once it gets back to that same place on the progress bar it still doesn't make it past 34 mins to go. Does installing devices take this long?

41. TimW

Yes, depending on your system ....had it take like 3-4 hours on one.

42. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

Why does it hang up at the same place everytime? I could reformat and install alot faster than this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds