Error 1962: No Operating System Found (after installing 4tb hdd)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Beatlemanic, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Beatlemanic

Beatlemanic Private E-2

I have Windows 8.1 on a SSD. After installing a new 4TB HDD, I'm getting the error. In the BIOS, the SSD is still selected as the boot drive..
    The error is still present after unplugging the HDD.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I suspect this has happened because the new 4tb drive will be a GPT drive but your SSD is an MBR drive. You could take a look at the drives using Partition Wizard Bootable CD. A simple solution might be to split the 4tb into two 2tb MBR partitions (MBR can only handle drives up to 2tb).

3. Beatlemanic

Beatlemanic Private E-2

The computer (Lenovo k450e Desktop) came with a 2TB SSHD. I wanted to replace it with the 4TB HDD.
    As I mentioned, if I unplug the 4TB HDD, the error is still present..
    Connecting the SSHD again eliminates the error but there is nothing on the drive as I had wiped it clean....

4. Earthling

You need to be a bit clearer. You started by saying you have 8.1 on a ssd and that that is the boot drive, but reading about that machine that is incorrect. It is supplied with a 2tb SSHD with 8.1 which you say you have wiped clean. If that is right you have removed the 8.1 operating system and would expect that error message. Or what?

5. Beatlemanic

Beatlemanic Private E-2

I installed Windows 8.1 to a Samsung SSD and wiped the SSHD that came with the computer.

6. Earthling

OK, sounds like your 8.1 install is incomplete - no boot files - and uses the boot files in the System Reserved partition on the SSHD to boot. That happened because you did not disconnect the SSHD when installing 8.1. You can either disconnect the SSHD and install 8.1 again or copy the bootmgr file and the BOOT folder from the SSHD to the SSD and then mark the SSD Active. No idea how tech you are but a reinstall might be best.

7. Beatlemanic

Beatlemanic Private E-2

There's nothing on the SSHD anymore but I installed Windows on the SSD with a USB flash installation disk...I still have it and see the bootmgr file and boot folder...Where on the SSD should I put them, and how to mark the SSD active?
    Thank you for your time.

P.S. - I used Partition Wizard to make the 4TB HDD GPT (split into four partitions)..I had already made the SSD GPT previously.

8. Earthling

They go at the root of C: but you may not be able to do that in Windows. Do you have a boot disk of any kind in case? Use Partition Wizard to mark a disc or partition Active.

9. Beatlemanic

Beatlemanic Private E-2

The option for setting to active in Partition Wizard is greyed out.

10. Beatlemanic

Beatlemanic Private E-2

I'm still getting the 'no operating system' error with the 4TB HDD in place of the SSHD.
    Oh well, I guess I'll have to try reinstalling the OS again.

11. Earthling

I'm going to have to back off here. I don't yet have any direct GPT experience but reading around clearly the methods used to get MBR disks booting are not applicable to GPT disks. In particular it seems you need to boot via an EFI partition rather than straight into your Windows GPT partition.

You could try another install to your SSD and if you do you should definitely disconnect the SSHD first. You say there is nothing on it but as the machine will only boot when it's connected that can't be the case. I understand that the Win 8 installer recognises GPT disks and sets up the boot config accordingly. Otherwise can I suggest you try HERE as there are some real experts there on this sort of thing. Win 7 and 8 use identical boot configurations.

Sorry I wasn't able to help.

12. Beatlemanic

Beatlemanic Private E-2

I appreciate your efforts all the same, and Partition Wizard was helpful..
    Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds