Error 7308. Can't find device driver protman.dos

Discussion in 'Software' started by edweather, Nov 30, 2012.

1. edweather

edweather Private First Class

Recently started using our older computer again. Upon startup I get the error message 7308 that the computer can't find device driver protman.dos. I searched the computer for it and found it in C:\Program Files\America Online 7.0\net\Win98SE. Did a little research online and found out that the file belongs in the Net8.cab file in Win98. So I found the Net8.cab file (which was zipped,) so I unzipped it and tried to move the file over, but it wouldn't let me. I get a message saying that I can't add to CAB files, and that protman.dos isn't a CAB file, and something about UUEncode, which I know nothing about. Is there a way to move the file, or is there a way to work around it? The computer seems to work ok, and I'm connecting to the internet ok. So it's not really interfering except that I get the annoying message. Thanks. Ed.

2. edweather

edweather Private First Class

So I opened AOL 7.0 which hadn't been opened online in about 4 years and it updated and now my error is gone, but two other errors appeared......only because my realtime AV scanner ditched 2 new files it didn't like. Should have updated with scanner off. Problem solved. Probably always going to have some little error, but it's not affecting me being online which is all I really care about anyway. Time for me to get a life. Thanks for looking. Ed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds