Error Code 39 on CD-RW drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by popsbt, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popsbt

popsbt Private E-2

My LH-DT-ST CD-RW GCE 8481B drive has stopped working. Device Manger has a yellow ! against it. Device Status has "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing." I've tried to unistall and re-install the device as per troubleshooting instructions but wind up back at the same place. I tried doing a search for driver updates through Device Manager Update button but Windows says mine is the best match and won't load another. Can't use the CD drive to load the driver from CD for obvious reasons. The original driver seems to be from Microsoft but I'm not having much luck finding it on their site. Sooo

Is this really a software driver problem or could it be hardware?
    Where can I find the driver on-line (safely)?
    Any gottchas to worry about during installation? (not that I know how to do this)
    Use your best "for dummies" response language. Sadly, I'm no PC geek although was a mainframe geek in the "good old days"

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Give this a go HERE or HERE (general one) as it will remove the upper and lower filters that can cause DVD/CD drivers to not work ok, reboot after its done.

Also in Device Manager do you have any yellow ! marks by any devices, if so what?

Is this a OEM PC, like one from DELL, HP etc if so what make and model?

3. popsbt

popsbt Private E-2

5 minutes to sign up, 5 minutes to post my problem, 5 minutes to get a response and 5 minutes to fix it. Wow! Done and Done! Next time I'll come straight here and not spend hours trying to re-invent the wheel. Thanks very much!

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Well thats the Majorgeek friendly service for you ;) glad all is fixed and cheers for posting so.

5. 94dgrif

94dgrif Corporal

What is a Filter Driver anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds