error extracting support files

Discussion in 'Software' started by ziggymaster, Aug 26, 2005.

1. ziggymaster

ziggymaster Private E-2

I need to unistall Panda Antivirus, cause it is no longer able to receive updates, updates have expired.want to put new Panda Antivirus on pc,it will not let me til i uninstall old verison.
    When i go to add /remove programs i click on remove Panda. i get this.........
    ( ERROR EXTRACTING SUPPORT FILES)
    How do i remove Panda then?
    Thanks Ziggymaster.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

1. Is it a trial version you are trying to uninstall? If so, reinstall the trial version and then try to uninstall from Add/Remove.

2. Also, make sure that there are no Panda Services running in the Services section in Control Panel. Ensure they are stopped and set to disabled, then try to uninstall.

3. This is from Panda Support on uninstalling / manual removal "Panda Titanium"

BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY:

Go to Start, Run, and type in regedit; click OK and the Registry Editor will open.

At the top of the Registry window, click on File, and then click Export... An Export Registry File window will open; choose a location to save the backup to (like My Documents), and give it a name (like Panda Removal), and then click the Save button.

NEXT:

Open the Registry from Start, Run, write REGEDIT, and click on OK. Highlight 'My Computer' at the top of the list, then go to 'Edit' and 'Find'. Type 'panda' into the box and then click on 'Find Next'. This will search the Registry for panda files. When it brings up a folder or file, press 'delete' or right-click on the highlighted file/folder and select 'delete' from the menu to remove it. Then press 'F3' to search again and find the next Panda entry.

Continue to search and delete Panda entries in the Registry until no more entries are found. Then repeat this process, this time searching for 'pav'. When both searches are complete, close the Registry and restart the computer.

Once this operation has been carried out, using Windows Explorer delete the Panda Software folder that is below C:\Program files. You should also delete the following files Windows \system: PAV.SIG, APVXD.VXD, APVXDUT.VXD, PANDA.CHP.

One of these should work for you.

Steve

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'm surprised that panda would have one go through the registry like that. Cause you'll be missing quite a few things, especially within CLSID. But, if it works it works.

Anyway, in the end, I'd also run ccleaner to pick up any residue registry entries after everything else was done.

Ccleaner:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

4. ziggymaster

ziggymaster Private E-2

well nothing i have tried has worked, still get the same error:
    error extracting support files
    THE SYSTEM CANNOT THE FILE SPECFIED

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

If none of those worked maybe a little more info will help us.

1. What version of Panda are you trying to uninstall and is it shareware, trial or the full product?

2. Also, what is the version you need to install?

3. What exactly is giving you the error message?

From what I could find out some earlier versions can be removed during the installation process of the newer product, have you tried that, is that when you discovered you could not not remove the older version?

If the antivirus installed is an earlier version of Panda Antivirus Titanium (except shareware versions), it will be automatically uninstalled during the Panda Titanium Antivirus 2005 installation process.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds