Error - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service

Discussion in 'Software' started by hannahDaley, Jan 11, 2010.

1. hannahDaley

hannahDaley Private E-2

My computer has gone crazy. I cannot open anything or start any program ...I get the same error message - insufficient system resources. It was working fine this morning but now....nothing works. Please help.

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

There are several possible causes.
    What were you doing when this behaviour started and the error message appeared?
    What are your computer specifications (including RAM, OS, storage used, etc)?
    Can you get to Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del)?
    What happens if you try to start in "Safe Mode", or using "last known good configuration"?
    Have you downloaded anything recently or added new hardware (think about automatic downloads too)?
    How old is the computer?
    Are all cables and connectors tight? RAM properly seated?
    Could you have a malware problem (does your computer have adequate protection and have you run scans regularly)?
    Does the error appear as soon as you boot, or after some time?

3. hannahDaley

hannahDaley Private E-2

Thank You for your reply.
    The computer was in hibernation, and I when it woke up I tried to get online. When clicking on the IE icon on my desktop, it would not respond....no nothing, when I would try IE through the Start, I would get the error message. Then I went to try different programs....all with the same result. I could not get the task manager or ANYTHING else.

After I posted, I found the Read and Run me for Malware Removal and I couldn't do anything....my computer would not log off, switch user, restart, or shut down....I got no response from it.....so I pushed the off button and when I restarted it, it worked just fine.

We got this computer about 5 years ago from Dell. Windows XP Media Center Edition -2002, Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 504 MB of RAM, and C drive shows 69.5GB with 28GB of free space. (if thats the storage you're talking about)

I have no idea if all my cables are connected right...or RAM properly seated.

I do run regular scans. I have AVG8 free edition, I also use SUPER Anti-spyware and Spybot S&D. I use CCleaner on a regular basis...etc.
    The only thing that I can think that caused this problem is a program that my husband installed for our new cell phones. He installed HTC Sync on Friday the 8th.
    As soon as my computer was working again...I uninstalled it.
    Any other suggestions??

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

hannah,

Just to be safe, I'd do the malware scans and from a cmd prompt run sfc /scannow. If this is a tower, is the cabinet relatively clean?

If it happened once there is a good chance of a repeat and anything you do now could save you a lot of time and headaches later.

And, do you have your files backed up? Any errors in your devices?

5. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Hmmm... interesting this happened after a hibernation. There is evidence that it can occur when going INTO hibernation, but usually on the 2005 version of your XP. You may have run into something similar though. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909095
    Maybe also run a memory test (memtest) to make sure everything is all right there (in addition to brandypeppy's advice), and if you can get inside the computer (is it a PC?), blow out any build-up of dust and check connections. Check out advice on static electricity before doing this.
    Another thing to do would be to try to replicate the problem. Put it into hibernate again and follow the same steps afterwards.
    If you do the sfc /scannow option, you will need your XP disk if there are any problems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds