Error: Invalid VxD dynamic link call.

Discussion in 'Software' started by mako, Feb 15, 2005.

1. mako

mako Private E-2

Hi!
    i'm new here. This's what I'm stumped on. I start the computer, it goes thru post. It then reboots, goes thru post again & stops at the "windoows wasn'table to load" screen. I select "start in safe mode." The Win98 screen comes up, then i get a black DOS screen with the following:
    "Invalid VxD dynamic link call to device number 3 system B. Your windows configuration is invalid. Run setup again to correct this problem. Press any key to continue."
    When i press a key, I get the " it's now safe to shut off your computer" screen.
    This's what I've got & done so far:

HP Pavillion 9680C US Version
    Intel 650 Mhz slot 1 CPU
    256 Mb pc100 sdram
    Via Appollo 133 chipset on mommyboard
    8 Mb nVidia Riva TNT Vanta graphics card
    HP 10/100 base T ethernet adapter
    Lucent Wildwire DSL/LAN adapter
    Rockwell Chameleon Combo Fax/modem card

Win98 SE build 2.30.23 with winxp home sp1 version 2002 loaded when error occured.

I started with trying to recover with the HP recovery disk. Same Error.
    Did a Format & recover with the same result.
    Replaced the HDD, Formatted & reloaded. Same Error.
    Went to MS site & got Faq ?kbid=306482&sd=RMVP. It wasn't helpful because i can't get windows to load.
    Removed all cards except for video. Reformatted & reloaded. Same Error.
    Placed a email call to HP help... that was ten days ago. Still no answer.
    I'm out of Ideas. Please help. :rolleyes:

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

This problem occurs most of the time when the System.ini is blank. If you have the Operating System installed on your computer and cannot boot. Please follow my steps listed below.

NOTE: This is for Microsoft Windows 98 1st & 2nd Editions Only!

1) Check your hard drive cables, make sure they are connected properly.

2) Check the jumpers on the hard drive, make sure they are properly pushed on, if they are loose or not on all the way, this can cause your hard drive to reset every now and then and can cause problems like what you have been getting.

3) If all jumpers and cables are properly connected lets move on to hardware. Take out ALL memory sticks and reseat them. Make sure they are properly seated tight as they can be as this can cause errors like this as well.

4) Now, If problem is still NOT resolved and you ARE ABLE to boot into windows. Lets try the next step.

5) Restart the computer, and then when prompted, select Safe Mode.

6) Browse to C:\Windows. If no files are visible, click Show Files.

7) On the View menu, click Folder Options.

8) On the View tab, click to clear the Hide file extensions for known file types check box, and then click to select the Show all files check box.

9) Click OK. If no files are visible, click Show Files.

10) Right-click System.ini, click Rename, type System.old, and then press ENTER.

11) Double-click the Sysbckup folder in the same directory.

12) On the View menu, click Details, and then click Name to sort the files by name.

13) Find the most recent rb*.cab file from before the date and time that the problem started. Double-click this file.

14) Right-click System.ini, and then click Extract.

15) In the Choose a Folder in which to save the files box, browse to C:\Windows, and then click OK.

16) Close the .cab file, and then browse to C:\Windows

17) Double-click System.ini If System.ini is blank, repeat steps 9 through 12, using the next most-recent .cab file.

18) Close System.ini, and then restart the computer.

NOTE: If the above is unsuccessful, then the other option is to restore the registry to an earlier version.

3. mako

mako Private E-2

Did the mem stick reseat. Reformatted & reloaded. Got the same error.
    Restarted. When I got the selection screen, choose "C prompt only" option. Typed in edit C:\Windows\system.ini. The file came up not empty.
    Question: How do I restore when it's a fresh load? Do you think this might be a hardware problem?

4. bjgarrick

Usually this problem is caused from a blank system file. I have seen some cases where it was hardware. Yes it could very well be hardware. If you have formatted and reinstalled then is most likely is a hardware problem. Reseating the memory would be the first thing that would come to mind. If you have reseated it, try changing slots. This is weird being you have formatted. So apparently its going to be hardware.

5. bjgarrick

Has any new hardware been added since the problem began? And one more thing, was this a sudden problem or was something new added or something changed?? One thing I might would try is, Go into the BIOS and "Load Setup Defaults" as this may reset some setting.

6. mako

mako Private E-2

No new hardware until i put in the HDD. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow when i get home from work. I'll let ya know how it worked out.
    I talked to my friend who owns it. He said the only new thing he added was McAffe virus scan.

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Did you try safe mode as BJ suggested?

Start the computer and start tapping F8 until you get the safe mode screen.

Steve

8. mako

mako Private E-2

Hey Y'all!
    Thanx for the assist! It's up & working (so far). Part of his problem was installing WinXP on this venerable old chassis. I'm putting my copy of WinME on it so he can still use it. Again, thanx for your help.

9. bjgarrick

Your Welcome, if you have any other problems just let one of use know.

Thanks Bj :)

10. mako

mako Private E-2

Not as smart as I thought I was. WinME won't load. Went to shut down & now it's stuck on the Win98 "windows is shutting down" screen. Been there for the past ten minutes. I'm going to look thru the archives to see if this problem's been addressed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds