Error Message "end process, explorer.exe"

Discussion in 'Software' started by KathyH, Feb 28, 2009.

1. KathyH

KathyH Private E-2

No rhyme or reason for getting this message which is intermittent and experiencing on 2 different computers. Both XP Media Center SP3, AntiVirus - Avast on one and Avira on the other. Both are relatively new machines, one 3 mths. old. One machine happens 50% of the time when my roommate shuts down her computer (has applications opened I would imagine), I come across it's error message sitting there idle waiting for a click to "end process". This is a recent problem we've both encountered. I read a bit online but nothing seems to address the issue. Perhaps repair of XP? When I do "end process" I lose the start menu/taskbar momentarily. Any suggestions on what might be causing this annoying message? Having some freezing going on from time to time as well. Maintenance wise I use Ccleaner, Spybot along with TuneUp Utilities 2007. Thanks in advance...

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Kathy

Not easy at times to track explorer.exe issues down as it could be any application, so now starts some trial and error t/shooting steps.

1. What common applications are on both and active/running or if recient have you both installed? (I know AV is different, but other apps that could be in sys tray or in startup list *use CCleaner > Tools > Startup to compare*)

2. Could use Process Explorer and have it running then when this happens, and in the Explorer chain you may see a common app hanging onto that system process, thats common to both PCs.

3. Check in Event Viewer for any errors in either the Application or System lists around the times of these crashes for a faulting module or app.

4. Boot into Safe Mode and easy PC to test this one will be your roomates as that PC has a 50% chance of failing on shutdown with this error and it it doesnt then you likely do have a startup/running application causing this.

For options 1 and 4 you can try StartupCPL and disable all startups and test out PCs (if disabling AV and security apps unhook from Internet) with all startups disabled then enable one at a time to find a cause.

3. KathyH

KathyH Private E-2

Halo,
    I have installed Process Explorer and hope to be able to see what's going on when we get the message. I believe last time it happened, the message took up the entire display screen making it impossible to see what was going on behind the scenes.
    The "event viewer" - where would this be available?

I'm familiar with Safe Mode, but where would I Boot into Easy PC?

StartupCPL - installed but not sure what difference that will be from going into startup from msconfig.

I will identify what's on both computers, checking Ccleaner as you suggested.

Thank you very much, hope to nail this down.

- Kathy

>>>>>

Hi Kathy

Not easy at times to track explorer.exe issues down as it could be any application, so now starts some trial and error t/shooting steps.

1. What common applications are on both and active/running or if recient have you both installed? (I know AV is different, but other apps that could be in sys tray or in startup list *use CCleaner > Tools > Startup to compare*)

2. Could use Process Explorer and have it running then when this happens, and in the Explorer chain you may see a common app hanging onto that system process, thats common to both PCs.

3. Check in Event Viewer for any errors in either the Application or System lists around the times of these crashes for a faulting module or app.

4. Boot into Safe Mode and easy PC to test this one will be your roomates as that PC has a 50% chance of failing on shutdown with this error and it it doesnt then you likely do have a startup/running application causing this.

For options 1 and 4 you can try StartupCPL and disable all startups and test out PCs (if disabling AV and security apps unhook from Internet) with all startups disabled then enable one at a time to find a cause.

4. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

Hi kathy.
    To find Event viewer go to your control panel.
    Make sure your in Classic view then go to Administrative tools.
    You will find it there.

5. KathyH

KathyH Private E-2

Wild - Thank you...I located the Event Viewer - see quiet a few warnings under Dhcp server (System). I recently installed a new router - DLink Dir655 and new print server. Shaking my head, will have to do quite a bit of searching here to uncover the culprit I'm afraid.
    ----------------------

Hi kathy.
    To find Event viewer go to your control panel.
    Make sure your in Classic view then go to Administrative tools.
    You will find it there.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Sorry, should have added , after Mode below, meaning your roomates PC would be the easier PC to test Safe Mode on to see if this issue happens alot as its the one thats likely to have this message 50% of the time.
    What StartupCPL will allow you to do is to untick all the startups the PCs make, this way you can narrow down with all turned off that the PC boots and closes ok with no error, this rules something else as the cause, then enable one at a time until the error returns and that last startup application you enabled is the culprit.

Its very likely that a process or application cannot close quick enough when the PC is closing down, which the above steps for troubleshooting may highlight the cause or faulting application,

If this only happened since installing the Dlink and PrintServer, then check for updated software/drivers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds